Online Registered Dietitian. Expert in prediabetes and type 2 diabetes management and reversal. Weight loss, digestive problems (IBS, Low FODMAP diets; Coeliac Disease, Diverticulitis), Polycystic Ovary Syndrome, Gestational Diabetes, Reactive Hypoglycaemia.
Anita is HCPC Registered Dietitian and therefore is recognised by and registered with the major insurance companies: BUPA, AVIVA, AXA PPP Healthcare, Vitality Health and others.
Anita has in-depth experience of varied areas of nutrition gained in her private practice and over 15 years working as a clinical and research & innovations dietitian in the NHS alongside UK leading consultants, specialist nurses and other dietitians. She has led cutting edge research and innovation in developing a new approach to weight loss and diabetes prevention and diabetes reversal and management and has several high-level publications under her name. She is a frequent presenter at scientific conferences and acts as a subject matter expert for other health professionals including local GP's and Practice Nurses.
She is registered with the Health & Care Professions Council (HCPC), and a member of the British Dietetic Association (BDA), Diabetes UK and Freelance Dietitians Group.
Anita graduated from Oxford Brookes University with a Bachelors of Science degree (BSc 1st class Hons) in Nutrition, Exercise and Health. She then spent most of her professional training in Dietetics at Leeds Metropolitan University where obtained a Post Graduate Diploma (PG Dip) and Masters degree (MSc distinction) in Dietetics and Nutrition.
Anita appreciates the difficulty her clients face when trying to make permanent lifestyle and dietary changes therefore she has completed additional training in behavioral sciences: she is an accredited Neuro-Linguistic Programming practitioner, a certified hypnotherapist and have extensive training in Cognitive Behavioral Therapy.
She is a caring and non-judgmental practitioner and supports her clients on each step of their treatment journey.
Anita's SPECIALIST CLINICAL DIETETIC EXPERTISE:
It is recognised that there are many triggers on why we eat, apart from hunger and that’s why weight loss is one of the hardest things to crack. Your personal genetic make-up, body metabolic rate and of course eating habits and patterns do play a role. Anita has many years of research in developing personalised weight loss/ lifestyle change programmes, which has helped hundreds of people to lose weight and keep it off. She also has several publications in peer-reviewed scientific journals under her name in this area.
Anita will not provide you with another fad diet, but a clinically proven sustained individually tailored LIFESTYLE CHANGE programme. She will help you establish a HEALTHY relationship with food and eating, develop your own tailor-made EATING PLAN, set your own sustainable WEIGHT LOSS GOALS, motivate and support you into making a LASTING CHANGE, help you to feel IN CONTROL of your weight, help you to think POSITIVELY, offer on-going SUPPORT.
Type 2 diabetes management
You may not have to take any medications yet or you may have been prescribed diabetes medication or insulin. You might feel that it is all still too confusing and that it would be very helpful if somebody just gave you more tailored advice and the latest research developments in diabetes. Anita is an expert in diabetes and can work with you to develop a tailor-made dietary and lifestyle programme and advise about all you need to know about your medications and much more.
Anita will help you to develop a diet/lifestyle plan that may reduce your risks of diabetes complications. She will help you with carbohydrate awareness, structured blood glucose monitoring, weight loss, insulin dose adjustment, explanation of the mode of action of different diabetes medications, interpretation of the blood test results (e.g. HbA1c, blood cholesterol, thyroid functions, liver functions, kidney functions).
Pre-Diabetes and Type 2 Diabetes Prevention
Type 2 diabetes starts to develop around 10-15 years before it is diagnosed. By the time diabetes is diagnosed the long-term damage— especially to your heart, blood vessels and kidneys may already have started.
There's good news: progression from pre-diabetes to type 2 diabetes can be prevented. Anita has a wealth of research experience and she has helped hundreds of people to prevent diabetes. She will advise you on your diet and lifestyle and motivate you on each step.
Type 1 Diabetes management
“flexible eating”: carbohydrate counting and insulin dose adjustment; insulin pumps; blood glucose targets and monitoring, including continuous blood glucose sensors; insulin adjustment during the sickness; hypo and hyper-glycaemia treatment.
Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)
Diet can reduce or even completely stop your symptoms of bloating, diarrhoea or constipation and stomach cramps. One of the most successful science-based diets is the low FODMAP diet with over a 70% success rate. Anita is trained by Kings College London to deliver a low FODMAP diet. She will work with you to identify the triggers of your symptoms and will advise you on the most suitable dietary options, provide you with the latest research-based dietary material as well as advise you on supplements and tests you may benefit from. She will base her advice on the latest research evidence.
If you been diagnosed with coeliac disease, Anita can help you to follow a gluten-free diet. She will also help you to achieve a healthy balanced diet sufficient in vitamins, minerals and dietary fibre and help you to interpret your blood test results.
Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS), insulin resistance
Diet to lower blood cholesterol and blood pressure
Cancer (please contact Anita directly before making an appointment)
MY PRIVATE PRACTICE
My private practice is based at two locations:
Total Therapy Bournemouth
The Club At Meyrick Park - Golf Club
To make appointment, please call our Reception Tel: +44 (0)1202 72 50 90
For more details, please visit my website at www.acediets.com
I am recognised by and registered with the major insurance companies:
BUPA, AVIVA, AXA PPP Healthcare, Vitality Health.
Training, qualifications & experience
- Master’s Degree (MSc) in Dietetics & Nutrition (award –Distinction), Leeds Metropolitan University
- Post Graduate Diploma (PG Dip) Dietetics (award – Merit), Leeds Metropolitan University
- BSc (1st Class Hons) Nutrition, Exercise & Health, Oxford Brookes University
- Low FODMAPs diet, King's College London
- Inflammatory bowel disease: evidence-based dietary management, King's College London
- Cognitive Behaviour Change (CBT) course modules 1, 2 & 3, British Dietetic Association
- NLP practitioners Diploma
- Hypnotherapy and Counselling Diploma, Crysalis
Registered / Accredited
Being registered/accredited with a professional body means an individual must have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by their member organisation.
Health and Care Professions Council
The HCPC are an independent, UK-wide health regulator. They set standards of professional training, performance and conduct for 14 professions.
They keep a register of health professionals who meet their standards, and they take action if registered health professionals fall below those standards. They were created by a piece of legislation called the Health Professions Order 2001.
Registration means that a health professional meets national standards for their professional training, performance and conduct.
First one-to-one consultation (60 min)………..£100
Follow-up one-to-one session (40 min)……....£60
Follow-up one-to-one session (30 min)……....£50
Letter to GP/Referring consultant..................£20
Stuart A. Little, Jane Speight, Lalantha Leelarathna6, Emma Walkinshaw, Horng Kai Tan, Anita Bowes, Alexandra Lubina-Solomon, Thomas J. Chadwick, Deborah D. Stocken, Catherine Brennand, Sally M. Marshall1, Ruth Wood11, David Kerr, Daniel Flanagan8, Simon R. Heller, Mark L. Evans6 and James A.M. Shaw Sustained Reduction in Severe Hypoglycemia in Adults With Type 1 Diabetes Complicated by Impaired Awareness of Hypoglycemia: Two-Year Follow-up in the HypoCOMPaSS Randomized Clinical Trial Diabetes Care 2018 Aug; 41(8): 1600-1607.
Bowes A, Begley J, Kerr D. Lifestyle change reduces cardiometabolic risk factors and glucagon-like peptide-1 levels in obese first-degree relatives of people with diabetes. Journal of Human Nutrition and Dietetics. 2017 Feb 7.
Bowes A, Payne R, Jenkinson R, Kerr D. Translating research evidence into practice: A community-based lifestyle programme for the prevention of type 2 diabetes. British Journal of Obesity, Vol 1, No 4, Pages 124–167
Begley J, Bowes A, Heart T, Kerr D. Metabolic impact of a successful lifestyle intervention in patients with new onset type 2 diabetes; a pilot study. Journal of Diabetes Research and Clinical Metabolism, 2013
Everett J, Bowes A & Kerr D “Barriers to improving glycaemia control with insulin pump therapy” Journal of Diabetes Nursing, Vol 14, No5, 2010.
*To maintain the confidentiality of the participants, the names have been deleted and replaced with the unique code.
- “Hi Anita, I forgot to write to tell you that your program has succeeded where other previous attempts have failed. I could always lose weight but have never been able to stop it returning. I have lost over a stone and kept it off I hope to lose another, I believe it is a combination of education (even I have learnt stuff!), the group support mechanism and you not being a fundamentalist dietician, that is you accept that it is not possible to avoid all relapses but have given us the mechanisms to minimise their effects. Thanks for your help.”
- "I joined Anita's programme as a very over weight per diabetic male, who was heading full type 2 diabetics if I did not change my ways. Anita initially used education about food as the way to improve my health and then followed this up with a programme of CBT and NLP to change the way I felt about food and the relationship I have with it. I am now six months into the programme and have lost over 4 stones I weight and am completely free of diabetes. I cannot thank Anita enough for not only increasing the quality of life, but also increasing my life expectancy. I cannot endorse her enough...what do you have to lose?”
- “I consider myself privileged to have been selected for the Lifestyle Programme. I thought I had a reasonable understanding of what healthy eating was but after several sessions with Anita Bowes it was clear I did not. Eating fried food, chocolate and drinking alcohol were the obvious ones but Anita made the real difference educating me on portion sizes and the effects of too much carbohydrate, which I feel were the underlying problem for me. Anita delivered the education in a fun and interesting way. This has enabled me to lose 2 stone and reach my ideal BMI. Being one of the youngest on the trial programme I feel fortunate that I can carry forward what I have learnt to continue to enjoy improved wellbeing and hopefully prevent health problems in the future.The end of the first six months of the programme coincided with my first holiday with my two year old son so from a personal point of view I am extremely grateful to Anita for enabling me to look at photographs of me and him in the swimming pool without feeling embarrassed about how overweight I look.”
- “Education: the dietary advice has been eye-opening, and essential to making informed choices. Especially the ability to calculate the value (both calories & benefits) of the content of prepared meals (both restaurant & pre-packed). Balanced diet: work towards a balanced diet; don’t skip meals, and try to avoid ‘grazing’. Watch your portion size. Recording: keep a record of what is being consumed, at the time. This helps to avoid under-eating (can cut back too aggressively), and acts as a brake if temptation getting too great. Challenge: to actually make changes to one’s diet, and to exercise. Find healthy food (alternatives for snacking) that you actually enjoy eating. Set food goals, not weight goals; get the first right, and the second will follow. Support: both within the programme and outside it from family & friends. Indeed a spin-off is that some of the messages are shared in conversation so there is a ripple effect beyond the programme.”
- “After years of trial and error of trying to lose weight and change my bad eating habits, I started the programme with much hope and trepidation. It was crunch time, I felt ill, swollen and bloated, full of aches and pains. I knew I couldn’t go on like this any longer. However, I soon adjusted to the programme and found I was losing weight gradually and becoming aware of why I was putting on weight, what I had to do to change, and my feelings towards food and exercise.The programme literally saved my life. It has been life changing and given me more confidence, I feel fitter and healthier and it is a great feeling to fit into clothes several sizes smaller and look feel I look good. Thank you Anita! I found the actual programme simple and straightforward. No weighing and excessive counting of different foods. I did have to make time for meals and found myself looking at food labels and making choices. I learnt that it was OK to come off the programme as long as I picked myself up and started again. I was not made to feel guilty or undermined. I gained confidence as the weight dropped. It helped enormously listening to other people’s stories and their personal ups and downs in helping me to face mine in a calm and friendly atmosphere.”
- “Thanks for the news (HbA1c result) Anita, it’s fantastic! Without your upbeat approach to this, I don’t think I would have been able to reach such a result. You are a great teacher!…”
D/clinic*, (Type 1 diabetes patient on insulin pump therapy).
- “I need to make a comment about the care, support, help, advice and encouragement given to me by Anita. Anita is wonderful and so very caring and committed to helping me make the very most of my diabetes insulin pump. Please pass on my thanks for all she has done.”
A/clinic* (Type 1 diabetes).
- “Having been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes after blood tests with my local GP, I was invited to attend the weight loss program organised by Anita Bowes........As a result of the program I have now (3.5 years later) been tested and my blood sugar levels are normal and I have lost 19kg in weight….”