Judy Merrick, Nutritional Therapist, Dip CNM, mBANT, CNHC
I am a BANT Registered Nutritional Therapist, Naturopath, Metabolic Balance Coach and SWAMI (So What Am I?) practitioner. I am based near Market Harborough, Leicestershire and conveniently located for Leicestershire, Rutland, Northamptonshire, and the Midlands. I can also do telephone and on-line consultations via Zoom (preferred) or Skype.
I studied for 4 years and graduated in Nutrition and Naturopathy from the College of Naturopathic Medicine in London, and qualified as a Metabolic Balance Coach in 2018. As well as running my private practice, I have over 10 years experience working as a Senior Practitioner at an exclusive natural health spa specialising in detoxification and weight loss. In 2020 I became a SWAMI (So What Am I?) Practitioner.
The food we eat can have a profound effect, either positive or negative, on our health and well-being. I do not believe however, in a "one size fits all" approach to nutrition, and I consider each person to be an individual with their own personal health story and requirements. During your 90 minute initial consultation, we will explore in detail how life events, past health, and current diet and lifestyle might be causing or contributing to your current health concerns.
As well as taking a thorough case history, I may use Naturopathic methods such as such as nail & tongue diagnosis to help me complete the picture. I also work with a number of Functional Testing Laboratories and may also recommend this route if appropriate. Tests that I most commonly work with include:
- Food Sensitivity Test - assessing IgG antibodies to 200 items
- Comprehensive Stool Analysis - identifying imbalances in the gut which may be impacting health throughout the body
- Total Thyroid Screen - assessing all thyroid hormones (not just TSH) plus thyroid antibodies
- Comprehensive Adrenal Stress Profile - the impact of stress on cortisol, DHEA and SIgA levels
- Organic Acids Test - a helicopter view of the major processes in the body
- Functional Blood Chemistry - assessing 80 different markers and flagging up imbalances, deficiencies and priorities.
I also trained in Venepuncture (phlebotomy) with Surrey Pathology Services so can take blood samples when required.
You will leave your initial consultation with some clear recommendations about foods to include or limit to help with your concerns, suggestions for healthy meals, and general guidelines on how to live a healthier life. In some cases a specific therapeutic diet may be recommended. I may also recommend nutritional or herbal supplements (at extra cost although my clients get discounted rates with my suppliers).
Follow up appointments after 4 weeks will help to assess progress and keep you on track.
If you would like a free 15 minute consultation to see what Nutritional Therapy can do for you, please call me on 07847 209204.
Training, qualifications & experience
I belong to the following professional associations:
- BANT (British Association of Nutritional Therapy and Lifestyle Medicine
- CNHC (Complementary and Natural Healthcare Council)
- NAP (National Association of Phlebotomists)
- ANP (Association of Naturopathic Practitioners)
I hold the following qualifications:
- Diploma in Nutritional Therapy (College of Naturopathic Medicine, London)
- Diploma in Naturopathy (College of Naturopathic Medicine, London)
- Certificate in Adult Venepuncture (Surrey Pathology Services)
- Certificate - SWAMI (So What Am I?) Practitioner
- Certificate - Metabolic Balance Coach Training
Over the years I have supported people with a number of health conditions such as Diabetes, Weight issues, High Blood Pressure/Cholesterol, Hypo/Hyper Thyroid, Adrenal Stress, IBS & IBD, Digestive Issues, Auto-Immune Conditions, Fibromyalgia, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome, Food Allergies/Intolerances and many more.
British Association for Applied Nutrition and Nutritional Therapy
The British Association for Applied Nutrition and Nutritional Therapy is the professional body for Nutritional Therapists.
There are different BANT membership classes, including Full Member, Fellow Member and Student Member.
All BANT practitioners must have met the required standards of training, be fully insured and adhere to the BANT Code of Ethics and Practice.
Complementary and Natural Healthcare Council
The CNHC encompasses many types of alternative therapy, including massage, aromatherapy and nutrition.
In order to be admitted to the register a practitioner must have studied to the National Occupational Standards for that profession/discipline, or have reached the equivalent of the National Occupational Standards through other relevant training or at least three years of experience and been assessed by their peers.
A practitioner must also have professional insurance and agree to abide by the CNHC Code of Conduct, Performance and Ethics.
Accredited register membership
Accredited Register Scheme
The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.
Information about health conditions (*)
Nutritional therapy can help enhance the well-being of individuals diagnosed with serious medical conditions, but should not take the place of medical treatment and advice. If you have been diagnosed with - or suspect you may have - any of these conditions, please speak to your doctor before starting nutritional therapy or making any major changes to your diet or lifestyle.
- Nutritional/Naturopathic Consultation (Initial) £115 for 90 minutes
- Follow up Consultation £85 for 45 minutes
- Phlebotomy £48 standard blood draw per kit (additional kit £10)
- With centrifuge/separation £68 per kit (additional kit £15)
- 3 month Metabolic Balance Programme £850 - Includes One Hour Initial Consultation, Blood Test, Personalised Nutrition Programme based on blood results, 5 x half hour follow up consultations
- SWAMI Consultation and Analysis - £350 - includes ABO blood type test, Secretor Test, Biometric Measurements resulting in a 35 - 50 page report detailing extremely Personalized Nutrition and Wellness recommendations. The chances of another person having the same recommendations are 1 in a million!
Free 15 minute consultation (by appointment and if required) to see what Nutritional Therapy & Lifestyle Medicine or SWAMI Analysis can do for you.
I prefer to see clients face to face at least for the Initial Consultation, but I can conduct skype or telephone consultations if necessary.