Caroline Rees PhD, PGDip Nutritional Therapy
I work with women aged around 50, who are struggling with weight loss and surrounding health issues. Maybe you have tried many different diets with little success and need to gain control of your weight and your health.
How I can help you
- Struggling with weight-related health issues?
- Tried every diet going but nothing seems to work long term?
- Worrying that things are just going to keep getting worse?
- Looking for a new approach?
I was once where you are. Since devoting myself to understanding not only what controls our weight but also how health conditions and weight issues interact, I was able to control my own weight successfully and can help you to do the same.
Getting to the root cause of your health issues
Understanding what is driving your health problems is the key to finding the right approach for your unique situation. I look on weight gain as a symptom of an underlying imbalance. Overweight is often considered a cause of health issues but in fact it is equally often a consequence of these problems. I work with you to identify these underlying factors and using my scientific understanding of how your body is operating, I enable you to discover how to use nutrition and lifestyle changes to improve your health and control your weight. Together we will create a plan that works for you, and give you the tools to optimise your health, now and in the long term.
My personal experience in transforming my weight and health through nutrition and lifestyle changes has given me a passion for helping others to do the same. My strong science background enables me to understand the biological mechanisms underpinning your health issues and how nutrition can bring about change.
Who are my clients?
- People who like to eat well.
- People who need expert help to find answers to their weight and health problems.
- People who want a long-term, practical solution to healthy eating.
- People like you!
I am especially interested in the links between weight issues and
- Gut health
- Menopausal difficulties
- Sleep problems
- Low mood
Working with me
- We start by exploring your situation in some detail, the factors and triggers that contribute to your current situation.
- I will recommend some initial actions and a plan for the long-term approach. This may include some supplements to support the lifestyle changes, or testing to continue our investigation.
- As your program progresses we will revise your plan as necessary: adding new actions, removing those that are no longer needed or simply tweaking the details: in a way that suits you and fits your needs.
- I aim to help you understand your own body and what it really needs, so you can take control of your well-being in a way that works for you.
Training, qualifications & experience
I was originally a research scientist, specialising in immunology and asthma, working at Guy’s Hospital. After completing my PhD I worked as a medical writer for over 25 years and had no particular thought of changing career. However, when I needed to lose weight, I unsurprisingly turned to science to find the answers. I successfully lost 38kg, lowered my blood pressure, improved my fatigue problems and started sleeping better. As I learned more about the way food choices affect the body’s functions, I became fascinated by nutrition and understood that different people need different solutions to suit their individual needs.
I trained as a Nutritional Therapist at Worcester University on a 2-year, Master's level postgraduate course, accredited by the Nutritional Therapy Education Commission. It may have come as a rather late change in career, but I absolutely love what I do now: being able to help people improve their health and well-being is so very rewarding.
Summary of qualifications:
- Master’s level Postgraduate Diploma in Nutritional Therapy, University of Worcester, 2018
- Nutrition Coach at Ways of Eating, 2014 to 2018
- Medical writer, 1990 to 2016
- PhD, Immunology, University of London, 1990
- MPhil, Immunology, University of Plymouth, 1984
- BSc (Hons), Biological Sciences, Aston University, 1981
Areas of nutrition I deal with
- Adults and elderly adults
- Anaemia *
- Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/ME *
- Coeliac disease *
- Constipation *
- Crohn's disease *
- Diabetes *
- Diarrhoea *
- Digestive problems *
- Eczema *
- Fibromyalgia *
- Food allergy and food intolerance
- Healthy eating
- Heart disease *
- High blood pressure *
- High cholesterol *
- Irritable bowel syndrome *
- Menopause *
- Migraine *
- Nutrition and mental health
- Obesity *
- Osteoporosis *
- Psoriasis *
- Rosacea *
- Skin health *
- Thyroid problems *
- Tiredness *
- Weight gain
- Weight management
- Women's nutrition
* If you have been diagnosed or suspect you may have one of the medical conditions starred above, you should consult your GP for advice, diagnosis and treatment and always inform your health professional before starting any alternative or additional therapies, treatments or making any major changes in your diet or exercise programme.
Photos & videos
Initial assessment (90 min)
This first meeting is principally aimed at gaining a detailed understanding of your current and past health and developing an initial action plan. £95
Follow ups (60 min)
We will meet regularly to review your progress, any test results and further refine your action plan ensuring it is tailored specifically to your individual needs, that you understand why each element is there and you are happy with the steps involved. £65
"Me seeing a Nutritionist? I never thought I would. My partner had seen Caroline for a consultation and addressed some long-standing issues in a very positive way. I was intrigued, and agreed that I should go too. I was a little sceptical, but after my first session with Caroline, I was very impressed. She took time to understand what what my issues might be, and saw me as a person, with a genuine interest in wanting to help. Which she did, and she is so knowledgeable! It is still early days but already her advice has been effective. Highly recommended” Keith
"I had two consultations with Caroline and was incredibly impressed with her knowledge, enthusiasm and professionalism. She puts in so much time and effort to ensure that you have a completely personalised diagnosis and plan.
Each recommendation is discussed and thoroughly explained. One size nutrition definitely doesn’t fit all! We are all very different and she takes the time to work through that." Debbie
"Caroline has a wealth of expert knowledge on the biochemistry of nutrition and everything she advised was backed up by peer-reviewed evidence. I was also impressed with the research she had done into my specific needs. She is kind, empathic and easy to talk to and is as expert in the ‘therapy’ as in the scientific aspect of the consultation. I really felt I was in good hands." Sophie
"Caroline‘s expert knowledge, advice and support really helped me to understand how, by making changes to my diet, I could improve my health, energy and wellbeing. I am so much better since following Caroline’s recommendations. I wouldn’t have got back to work without her." Niki
Type of session
|Online nutrition support:||Yes|
|Telephone nutrition support:||No|
|Face to face nutrition:||Yes|
Last appointment is usually 5.30pm but some evening appointments may be available.