Women neglecting their heart health
- Salmon: Packed full of omega-3 fatty acids and powerful antioxidants, salmon is thought to reduce your risk of dying of heart disease by up to one third.
- Green tea: Another rich source of antioxidants, green tea can help to lower blood pressure and reduce high cholesterol.
- Oats: A fibre-rich superfood that has been proven to lower cholesterol. Oats also provide a good source of omega-3 fatty acids, folate, and potassium.
- Berries: Also packed with protective antioxidants and polyphenols, which can help fight chronic disease and cancer.
- Garlic: Proven to reduce plaque build up in the arteries, garlic is great for lowering cholesterol and for keeping blood flowing smoothly throughout the body – reducing strain on the heart.
- Avocado: These are full of healthy, monounsaturated fats that can help balance out cholesterol levels.
- Olive oil: Another great source of healthy fat essential for heart health.
- Walnuts, almonds and macadamia nuts: All rich in omega-3 fatty acids and loaded with healthy mono and polyunsaturated fats.
- Spinach: Rich in lutein, potassium and fibre to aid heart health, while providing an important portion of your five-a-day, which is crucial for keeping your heart strong and disease free.
- Flaxseed: Bursting full of fibre, omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids these are small but powerful healthy heart diet essentials.
Find a nutritionist dealing with Heart Disease
All therapists are verified professionals.