Cranberries for health and festivities
20th November, 20170 Comments
The antioxidant properties and phytochemicals of the bright red cranberry fruit is what has gained lots of interest and research by experts.
It has been used for centuries for it's edible contribution to the dinner plate or for therapeutic uses- mainly well known to support a healthy urinary tract.
In a study in the Canadian Journal of Dental Association, there is scientific evidence supporting the potential of cranberry polyphenols to prevent diseases of the mouth.
The phytochemicals are said to inhibit the adhesion of gingivalis the main cause of periodontitis.
Journal (Canadian Dental Association) [01 Jan 2010, 76:a130]
Tips for uses:
- Add a handful of dried cranberries to rice pudding or deserts for colour.
- Chop a handful of fresh cranberries to add a vibrant red colour to a green salad, use freshly squeezed oranges and a dressing with extra virgin olive oil for a superfood salad.
- Make your own reduced sugar cranberry sauce enjoy my recipe below
- Let the festivities begin
- Reduced sugar cranberry apple sauce recipe
Cranberry apple sauce recipe
- 6 Braeburn Apples (the sweeter variety)
- 1 cup of fresh or frozen cranberries
- Juice of 3 oranges and 2 tablespoons orange zest
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- Peel, core, and slice apples.
- In a pot, bring apples, cranberries, pressed orange juice, and 1/4 cup water to a boil over high. Reduce heat and simmer until apples are soft approx 25min.
- Reduce heat to low stir well. Add sugar. Once cool mash with a hand masher or a hand blender for a smoother texture. Stir in lemon zest.
- Place in sterilized clean glass bottle jars
Nutritionist Resource is not responsible for the articles published by members. The views expressed are those of the member who wrote the article.
Top recent articles
Melody MackeownMay 30th, 2018
Most viewed articles
Claire Hargreaves BSc Hons (NutriKind Nutrition)September 6th, 2013
Megan B Grover BSc, MMedSci, ANutrMay 16th, 2013
Claire Hargreaves BSc Hons (NutriKind Nutrition)November 5th, 2013