Picnic picks for alfresco lunches
Vegan sausage rollsMakes 9 Ingredients
- 6 vegan sausages, chilled
- 1 sheet ready-rolled puff pastry
- Half a red onion, chopped
- ½ cup plant-based milk, for brushing
- Salt, to season
- Handful of sesame seeds
- Preheat the oven to 180°.
- Line a baking tray with baking paper. Lay out the pastry sheet and cut into three strips.
- Remove skin from sausages and place two sausages on each pastry strip. Flatten a little using fingers.
- Line the chopped red onions on top of the sausages.
- Fold the pastry over the sausages and seal with a fork. Cut each sausage roll into three mini rolls.
- Place on a baking tray, sealed side down and make a light cut on top.
- Brush the sausage rolls with plant-based milk to give a golden finish, and sprinkle on sesame seeds. Season lightly with salt.
- Place in the oven for 25 minutes, until golden brown.
Super slawServes 6 Ingredients
- ¼ red cabbage, shredded
- ¼ white cabbage, shredded
- 2 radishes, finely sliced
- 2 small carrots, grated
- 1 apple, grated
- 2 tsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 tsp mustard
- 200g greek yoghurt
- Black pepper, for seasoning
- On a chopping board, roughly shred the cabbage and finely slice the radish. Place in a mixing bowl.
- Using a cheese grater, finely grate the carrots and apple, and add to the bowl.
- In a small bowl, combine the vinegar, mustard and greek yoghurt and mix well.
- Add yoghurt mix to the ingredients bowl, and stir.
- Season with a good grind of black pepper, and serve.
Rebekah says, "Vitamin C is both immune-boosting and stress-busting. Radish is a powerful detoxifier, so adding this to the slaw helps to effectively eliminate toxins and waste from the body."The ‘super slaw’ is high in vitamin C – just ½ a cup of shredded cabbage contains your recommended daily amount.
Classic scotch eggsMakes 4 Ingredients
- 5 medium eggs, 1 beaten
- 300g sausage meat (or vegetarian equivalent)
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 2 tsp dried sage
- 150g green lentils, mashed
- 125g breadcrumbs
- Preheat the oven to 180°.
- Bring to boil a pan of cold water. Place eggs in water and then reduce to simmer for approximately 10 minutes.
- While the eggs are boiling, combine the sausage meat with the parsley, sage and green lentils and mix well.
- Once eggs are cooked, plunge into cold water and peel.
- Divide the sausage meat into four and pat into a disc shape. Lay an egg on each disc.
- Close the sausage meat around the egg and seal.
- Pour the breadcrumbs into a shallow dish and the beaten egg into another dish.
- Dip the meat-covered egg into the beaten egg, and then roll in the breadcrumbs to coat the surface.
- Place each parcel on a baking tray and bake for approximately 25 minutes.
Rebekah Esdale is a mental health nurse and nutritional therapist specialising in women’s mental health and wellbeing. Rebekah empowers women to flourish with her Explore-Nourish-Balance-Restore one to one programme, and runs The Wildly Well Tribe Facebook group. This article was originally published in the August 2020 issue of Happiful Magazine. To purchase your copy, head to shop.happiful.com.
Find the right nutritionist for you
All therapists are verified professionals.