Ruth Sebastian Alonso RD
Healthy eating for a healthier life.
I offer a caring and non-judgmental space to discuss what affects clients' nutrition and how we can best improve it together. I work with my clients helping them find and establish new habits that best suits their lifestyle, by providing tools to gain confidence and knowledge, in order to improve their health and well-being.
My specialist areas are;
- People with diabetes of any type, including pre-diabetes
- People with obesity (BMI ≥30kg/m2), weight loss
- Clinical nutrition (weight gain advice, oncology on all stages of disease, pancreatic issues, neurology, digestive problems and advanced dementia)
- Families that want to eat healthier
- Sustainable eating
- People with disabilities and weight issues
- Meal planning and grocery shopping
- "Cook and eat" sessions for young people and children
- Weaning / food introduction to babies
- Maternal health: severe nausea / vomiting, and gestational diabetes
Online consultations, as well as face to face.
Please feel free to call me or e-mail me for any queries. I will answer within 48hrs (Mon-Sat 8.30am-7.30pm).
Training, qualifications & experience
BSc (Hons) Human Nutrition and Dietetics (2011), Spain
PGCert Diabetes Best Practice (2018, Southampton University), United Kingdom
I am a registered dietitian with experience in the NHS, as a freelancer, in private industry and in the charity sector. I have worked as a dietitian in obesity, psychiatry inpatient units, acute clinical nutrition in general hospitals, community oncology, neurology nutrition support, and diabetes. I have also worked with corporations in healthy eating and nutrition education.
I currently work in the NHS as a senior diabetes specialist dietitian.
Areas of nutrition I deal with
- Adults and elderly adults
- Cancer *
- Coeliac disease *
- Constipation *
- Crohn's disease *
- Diabetes *
- Diarrhoea *
- Digestive problems *
- Healthy eating
- Heart disease *
- High cholesterol *
- Infants and pre-school children
- Irritable bowel syndrome *
- Nutrition and mental health
- Obesity *
- Polycystic ovary syndrome *
- Vegetarian and vegan diets
- Weight gain
- Weight management
* If you have been diagnosed or suspect you may have one of the medical conditions starred above, you should consult your GP for advice, diagnosis and treatment and always inform your health professional before starting any alternative or additional therapies, treatments or making any major changes in your diet or exercise programme.
Photos & videos
Initial video-conference or telephone consultation to discuss your goals and what support you would like: Free
Personalised packages available.
Concession fees for people with low income and full time students.
Face-to-face and video-conference consultations
If you want help to change your eating habits or mindset around food to manage health issues such as high cholesterol or diabetes, if you are struggling to lose the pounds or keep them off, if you are dealing with weight loss or low weight due to illness, please contact me to discuss how I can support you achieve your goals.
What to expect:
- A free initial consultation to discuss your objectives, how you would like me to help you and devise a plan that suits your needs.
- An initial assessment, where we go through a nutritional interview about your eating habits, general health, medical history, motivation, lifestyle, goals and barriers.
- If you feel that following a menu would help you, we can plan a balanced menu together using portion control and recipe cards with nutritional value.
- Tailored follow up, with regular contact as required.
- I will send you a report, and a copy to your GP (with your consent).
- Plenty of resources that will help you stay on track.
- I will ask you to complete a 1-week food diary before the appointments.
- Experience working alongside counsellors helping you deal with whatever makes it harder for you to achieve change.
- Training and experience using behavioural change techniques to help you defining health goals and how to achieve them.
- Flexibility to work as a team with trainers and weight loss programmes (i.e. Weight Watchers).
- Mindful eating techniques.
*Location: ONLINE or face-to-face
Type of session
|Online nutrition support:||Yes|
|Telephone nutrition support:||Yes|
|Face to face nutrition:||Yes|
|Other languages:||Spanish, Catalan|
Wheelchair access in the clinic space in Birmingham, however not in the clinic in London. I can also see you in your own home.
Thursdays and Saturdays 8.30-19.30. You can reach me by telephone or email Monday to Saturday.