My name is Sharon Strahan and I am a registered nutritional therapist and Certified Functional Medicine Practitioner for marvelous mid-lifers who are finding that their physical health isn’t quite what it once was. I know that what you eat or don’t eat affects every aspect of how your body works –hormones, joints, digestion, skin, mood… the list is endless! And I passionately believe that you can have more control of this instead of just giving up and giving in.
Does this sound like you?
Feel like you are starting to fall apart as you get older? Are you tired all the time? Piling on the pounds for no obvious reason? Hormones out of whack? Things that used to work in your body don’t work anymore? Let me help you take back control of your health again and stop the downhill slide. Getting older is inevitable but getting sicker, heavier, and less energetic isn’t.
I offer a free 20 minute call by Skype, Zoom or phone to discuss where you are now, what you want to achieve, what you’ve tried so far. This way we can discuss whether Nutritional Therapy is right for you and how we can proceed. Please click the button below to directly book an appointment.
I work with people just like you who are finding that their physical health isn’t quite what it once was. They have steadily gained weight over the years, when once upon a time just cutting back a little on treats sorted the problem. But that doesn’t seem to be working anymore. They have been busy caring for kids, grandkids and parents to have put much time and effort into themselves. Hormones have started to go haywire, they have more twinges and loss of energy. The doctor is starting to recommend this scan or that test or another medication. They look at their parents and see where they might be headed and it can be a scary glimpse into the future.
Does any of that sound familiar? Then it’s time to take back control of your health.... and STOP the downhill slide!
Yours in health,
I am based in East Sussex near to Tunbridge Wells but most of my sessions with clients are online.
Training, qualifications & experience
Fully Qualified, Registered Nutritional Therapist and Certified Functional Medicine Practitioner
BSc Nutritional Medicine (UK)
BSc (hons) Dietetics (USA)
IFMCP - Certified Functional Medicine Practitioner (The Institute for Functional Medicine). I am one of only 25 nutritionists in the UK who can use the IFMCP title.
- registered with CNHC https://www.cnhc.org.uk/
- member of BANT http://www.bant.org.uk
- NgC (BANT) - Nutrigenomic Counsellor http://bit.ly/tnt-ngc
- Zest4Life Certified Health Coach https://www.zest4life.com
- Graduate of IFM AFMCP-UK course in 2017
- Member of IFM (Institute of Functional Medicine): http://bit.ly/tnt-ifm
- Registered with MTHFR-Genetics UK: http://bit.ly/mthfr-gen-uk
Completed "Nutrigenomics in Functional Medicine" programme and BANT certification requirements to become a registered Nutrigenomic Counsellor (NgC-BANT)
Completed Metabolic Healing nutrigenomics course
Completed Seeking Health (Dr. Ben Lynch) Strategene Practitioner Course
British Association for Applied Nutrition and Nutritional Therapy
The British Association for Applied Nutrition and Nutritional Therapy is the professional body for Nutritional Therapists.
There are different BANT membership classes, including Full Member, Fellow Member and Student Member.
All BANT practitioners must have met the required standards of training, be fully insured and adhere to the BANT Code of Ethics and Practice.
Complementary and Natural Healthcare Council
The CNHC encompasses many types of alternative therapy, including massage, aromatherapy and nutrition.
In order to be admitted to the register a practitioner must have studied to the National Occupational Standards for that profession/discipline, or have reached the equivalent of the National Occupational Standards through other relevant training or at least three years of experience and been assessed by their peers.
A practitioner must also have professional insurance and agree to abide by the CNHC Code of Conduct, Performance and Ethics.
Accredited register membership
Accredited Register Scheme
The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.
Information about health conditions (*)
Nutritional therapy can help enhance the well-being of individuals diagnosed with serious medical conditions, but should not take the place of medical treatment and advice. If you have been diagnosed with - or suspect you may have - any of these conditions, please speak to your doctor before starting nutritional therapy or making any major changes to your diet or lifestyle.
In essence, every programme I offer is bespoke, but the basic framework is each programme lasts 8 weeks minimum (applied nutrition doesn’t work overnight like paracetamol!). And the rest depends on how much contact, advice and coaching you need and the complexity of your case.
One of the main reasons I do the free 20 minute call is so that we both come to an understanding and an agreement on what you want and what you need. And then we agree on a package.
My programmes start at £385 and typically include the following:
- Full health and lifestyle assessment and analysis to consider symptoms, medical history, family history, lifestyle and stress
- Coaching sessions for additional support, motivation and accountability, to ensure you stay on track and implement your personalised plan (premium programmes only)
- Weight loss coaching (if applicable) to help beat cravings, eradicate emotional eating, and encourage good eating habits (premium programmes only)
- Written personalised summaries of your consultations
- Personalised nutrition advice and supplement plan
- Relevant handouts and information to support your health goals
- Menu plans and seasonal recipes relevant to your health goals
- Review of weekly food diaries if applicable – feedback and personalised guidance
- Recommendations for clinical tests, including review and interpretation of results, where applicable
- Current medication and nutrient interaction evaluation, if applicable
- Email support throughout your program
Functional laboratory testing may be recommended (using an external lab at an additional cost) such as stool analysis, hormone or nutrient profiles provide useful further information to steer your programme.
Here are some examples of tests:
- DNA health and wellbeing profiles
- Organic Acids Test (OAT)
- Food intolerance and sensitivities
- Total thyroid screen
- Female hormone panel
- Adrenal stress test
- Blood tests
- Comprehensive Stool Analysis (evaluates digestion, absorption, gut metabolism, gut flora, colonic immunology and irritation)
- Small intestinal bacterial overgrowth (SIBO)
Many of these tests are ones you can do at home – urine, saliva, or finger prick. Some other tests may require a blood draw and therefore an additional fee.
Prices for these tests vary from test to test and lab to lab, so if you have any questions about any of these tests please do just drop me a line. If there is the possibility of having a test done through your GP, then I work with you to request that.
I am available most evenings and some weekends. Because some clients are not in the UK I am flexible on my schedule to allow for time differences if necessary.
My special interests are prevention (i.e. try to prevent serious health problems from occurring or progressing) and mental health / mood.
* Please note that I do not work solely with weight loss. If you weight is a part of your overall health picture, then we will certainly be working on it as part of your programme. Most people really underestimate how other health issues impact their weight and vice versa.
I also have a special interest in nutrigenomics - that is the application of nutritional therapy with DNA testing (such as from 23andMe, Strategene, or MTHFR Genetics UK) to come up with a very specific personalised nutrition and lifestyle programme.
I have worked hard to study to become a registered Nutrigenetic Counsellor (NgC) through my professional body (BANT http://bit.ly/tnt-ngc).
Also registered with MTHFR-Genetics UK: