Sarena Harwood - Boost & Balance
I work mainly with women and young families to help boost their general health and well-being using practical tools that are freely available and useful to all ages.
I support clients to overcome health challenges and work towards better balance for bodies, minds and busy lives. I also work with those wanting to go from 'good to great' in order to perform better either at the office or on the playing field.
We explore potential using food, nutrients and a range of tips and tricks or 'biohacks' involving the smallest of changes to simple, daily habits.
I focus on optimising:
- Eating - using food as medicine, knowledge as power and promoting understanding of the signs and symptoms the body is constantly sending us helps people to regain control over health and move to more preventative healthcare in their own home.
- Breathing - we can live without food for around three weeks, we can live without water for a few days, but we may only be able to survive without breathing for five to ten minutes. And yet we barely pay our breath any attention throughout the day when it has the potential to boost energy, enhance aerobic and anaerobic capacity, and even improve posture. These techniques are simple and can be practised anywhere at anytime! I love this topic so much I completed my Diploma thesis on it and learnt so much!
- Sleeping - one of the key pillars of health, if you are not getting quality sleep everything else will seem more difficult, and your health and well-being will suffer. I can coach you to an improved routine to get the best out of your sleep.
- Moving - The term ‘exercise’ these days conjures up images of treadmills, mirrored studio rooms, pain and sweat, but this is not what our bodies were designed for. Sitting at a desk for 8 hours and then hitting the gym has been shown to be detrimental to overall health and fitness, and can cause injury. We look at easy ways to incorporate more movement into your daily routine.
- Thinking - the brain is as much a muscle as a quadricep and needs to be challenged and rested in the same way in order for it to grow. I can offer a different approach to optimising mental performance using proven techniques and practical solutions to fit them into busy lives.
Health coaching is a process designed to facilitate sustainable health and behaviour change for positive outcomes, and complements Nutritional Therapy perfectly.
During Health Coaching sessions I support individuals either:
- on their journey back to optimal health
- to enhance performance or,
- to achieve specific health or performance goals.
My main tool for coaching is the question 'why?'. I use this to challenge you to recognise how your values and beliefs can shape your behaviours.
This 'root cause' approach is really powerful for creating awareness and enabling change that will last.
Health Coaching is also a great way to learn how to support your whole family through changes on your way to a healthier, happier life. Working with children can be challenging to say the least, especially the behavioural aspects and fussy eaters. Going through this myself there are many techniques that I have learnt along the way that can be used to make the process easier.
Training, qualifications & experience
Diploma in Holistic Naturopathic Nutritional Practice (DHNNP) - College of Naturopathic Nutrition
Bachelor of Science (BSc) - University of Canterbury (NZ)
Areas of nutrition I deal with
- Adults and elderly adults
- Balanced diet
- Coeliac disease *
- Confidence and self-esteem
- Constipation *
- Crohn's disease *
- Diabetes *
- Diarrhoea *
- Digestive problems *
- Eczema *
- Food allergy and food intolerance
- Healthy eating
- Healthy hair
- High blood pressure *
- High cholesterol *
- Infants and pre-school children
- Irritable bowel syndrome *
- Life stages
- Menopause *
- Migraine *
- Obesity *
- Polycystic ovary syndrome *
- Pregnancy and preconception
- Premenstrual syndrome *
- Psoriasis *
- Rosacea *
- Schoolchildren and teenagers
- Skin health and conditions *
- Sports nutrition
- Tiredness *
- Weight gain
- Weight management
- Women's nutrition
* If you have been diagnosed or suspect you may have one of the medical conditions starred above, you should consult your GP for advice, diagnosis and treatment and always inform your health professional before starting any alternative or additional therapies, treatments or making any major changes in your diet or exercise programme.
Photos & videos
I offer a free 20 minute consultation to see if Nutritional Therapy or Health Coaching will work for you. Please give me a call or send an email to arrange this, I'd love to talk to you!
£75 - Initial consultations (90 minutes)
£40 - Follow up consultations (45 minutes)
I am often asked for hands-on help with real life activities:
- cooking and food preparation
- grocery shopping
- house & cupboard cleanse
- homemade beauty products
- Breathing to Boost Health workshops
I can tailor these sessions to suit you at £60 per hour.
Home visits by agreement according to distance from GU17.
What is the difference between Nutritional Therapy and Health Coaching?
During Nutritional Therapy you are consulting me to help you understand the effects nutrition can have on your body, and how to adapt simple, daily habits for what you are wanting to achieve.
Helps you answer the WHAT (can I do to improve my health)?
As a Health Coach I am consulting you so that I can gain insight to understand which questions to ask to draw out of you what you already know, value and believe to be true. Using your own values and beliefs you are then able to make realistic plans and commit to achievable actions for which I will be there to hold you accountable and cheer you on. This is the only true way to create sustainable change.
So that you understand WHY you are making changes and HOW you are going to do it.
The two modalities serve different purposes but work beautifully together to help you move forward, creating a healthier, happier home.
Type of session
|Online nutrition support:||Yes|
|Telephone nutrition support:||Yes|
|Face to face nutrition:||Yes|
Available by appointment Mon - Fri including evenings for phone, skype & home appointments. A link to availability for initial consultations is found on the Services page of my website.