Nicky Robinson, MSc NT, BA (Hons), mBANT, CNHC
I'm Nicky, a masters educated, highly experienced Nutritional Therapist with a passion for the power of (delicious) food as medicine. Whether you live to eat or eat to live, food is essential to our lives and one of the most important influencers of our health and wellbeing, but with so much confusing and often contradictory information out there it can be difficult to know where to start with making healthful diet and lifestyle changes.
Drawing on the latest nutrition science, and grounded in my personal experience of using nourishing foods to overcome my own complex health challenges, my aim is to enthuse, inspire and empower my clients to achieve their best health and vitality using practical, enjoyable and positive approaches that fit with their lifestyle.
I combine my nutritional therapy practice, Vitalise Nutrition, with roles leading the nutrition team at Penny Brohn UK, and as an MSc student supervisor, enabling me to bring rich knowledge and experience of diet and lifestyle science and practice to my work with private clients.
How I can help
- Personalised, comprehensive support for specific health conditions or concerns. I have particular interests in gut health and food sensitivities, inflammatory and immune related conditions, healthful ageing and disease prevention
- Advice, inspiration and resources for optimising energy, vitality and weight
- Support with healthy approaches to restrictive and elimination diets where appropriate*, including low FODMAP, gluten and dairy free, paleo and autoimmune paleo
- Help with meal planning, recipes, food lists and kitchen makeovers
- Access to functional testing and supplement recommendations where appropriate
- Small group wellness sessions and workshops
- Workplace wellbeing and resilience plans
* I strongly believe that we achieve our best health when we eat as a diverse a range of nourishing foods as possible, so my aim is always to work towards a wide, inclusive diet in the long term
How I work
My approach is friendly, practical and supportive and recognises that we all have busy lives and diet and lifestyle changes need to fit with this. I will always:
- Start from where you are now and guide you at a pace that works for you
- Listen to what matters and give you the space and time to share your story and concerns
- Work hard on your behalf to review and share the latest research relevant to your situation, but never forget the power of 'the basics'
- Provide clear, written, practical recommendations and helpful resources to make these easy and enjoyable
- Offer you care, support and encouragement throughout our time together
- Pass on practitioner discounts for any supplement or testing recommendations I suggest
- Keep the information you share confidential and secure at all times, in line with data protection requirements
What I offer
I work with individuals, couples and groups to offer:
Personal Wellness packages for those with chronic health conditions or concerns*
Chronic health is complex and multiple issues typically underlie the symptoms or concerns we experience. I work in partnership with my clients to explore the dietary and lifestyle factors that may be contributing to their unique health situation and what we can do to bring things back into balance. This takes time and commitment but is always worth it!
For these reasons I find that packages of support work best for most people. My approach is very much tailored to an individual client's specific needs and preferences, but as a guide these packages typically include:
- A minimum of 4 consultations over 8-12 weeks, in person or online
- My time behind the scenes reviewing your case and the latest research
- Written action plans with tailored diet and lifestyle recommendations
- Impartial, individualised supplement advice (if needed), following review of any current medications for potential interactions, with the benefit of generous practitioner discounts
- Functional laboratory testing recommendations where appropriate to give further insights into what might be influencing your health situation
- Other helpful resources such as recipes, 'how to' guides and information sheets
* nutritional therapy is never a replacement for medical advice but works very well alongside conventional medicine ensuring people get the nutrients they need to support resilient health
Healthy Foundations and Foundations of Ageing Well packages for those seeking support to make lasting diet and lifestyle changes for resilient health and wellbeing
I'm passionate about the role of diet and lifestyle in supporting optimal wellness and preventing ill health at any age. This package is designed to 1) nourish your body and mind to support radiant health, boost energy, balance blood sugar and support healthy weight 2) help you develop positive, sustainable habits with regard to food choices, eating and meal preparation. It includes:
- A minimum of 3 consultations over 8-12 weeks, in person or online
- My Healthy Foundations or Foundations for Ageing Well guidance plans, incorporating evidence based diet and lifestyle recommendations
- A toolkit of other helpful resources including recipes, 'how to' guides, fun challenge sheets, and sample meal plans
- Tailored supplement recommendations where required with the benefit of generous practitioner discounts
The Heathy Foundations packages can be run as a one-to-one or couples package, or as small group activities with friends
Diet and Lifestyle MOTs are for those looking for a one-off review their diet and other lifestyle factors for optimal health and wellbeing. I offer these sessions to individuals and couples
This 90 minute session (2 hours for couples) is an opportunity to identify the most beneficial areas for focus, with an emphasis on recommendations that can be self-directed, supported by a range of helpful resources. Diet MOTs can be upgraded to a package following the session if desired
Free discovery call I offer a free 15 minute telephone conversation to discuss your particular situation, how nutritional therapy might help you and how we might work together.
Please see www.vitalisenutrition.com for more information.
Training, qualifications & experience
Nicky Robinson MSc NT, BA (Hons), mBANT, CNHC
- MSc Nutritional Therapy (distinction). My dissertation focused on a functional nutrition approach to coeliac disease and autoimmunity
- Member of British Association for Applied Nutrition and Nutritional Therapy (BANT)
- Registered with Complementary and Natural Healthcare Council (CNHC)
- Low FODMAP diet for IBS training for health care professionals, Monash University
- Registered with a range of testing providers including Genova Diagnostics, Invivo Clinical, Bioblab, Lorisian/York Test, Cambridge Nutrition Services
- Professional member of Coeliac UK
- BA (Hons) Law & Economics
- Nutrition Lead at cancer support charity Penny Brohn UK (current)
- Student supervisor, MSc Nutrition Science and Practice, NCA, York (current)
- 20 years international experience as a senior manager in an ethical business
- Lifetime interest in health, nutrition and wider wellbeing
- Enjoy cooking, walking, travel, yoga, mindfulness, reading ...and food of course!
British Association for Applied Nutrition and Nutritional Therapy
The British Association for Applied Nutrition and Nutritional Therapy is the professional body for Nutritional Therapists.
There are different BANT membership classes, including Full Member, Fellow Member and Student Member.
All BANT practitioners must have met the required standards of training, be fully insured and adhere to the BANT Code of Ethics and Practice.
Complementary and Natural Healthcare Council
The CNHC encompasses many types of alternative therapy, including massage, aromatherapy and nutrition.
In order to be admitted to the register a practitioner must have studied to the National Occupational Standards for that profession/discipline, or have reached the equivalent of the National Occupational Standards through other relevant training or at least three years of experience and been assessed by their peers.
A practitioner must also have professional insurance and agree to abide by the CNHC Code of Conduct, Performance and Ethics.
Accredited register membership
Accredited Register Scheme
The Accredited Register Scheme was set up in 2013 by the Department of Health (DoH) as a way to recognise organisations that hold voluntary registers which meet certain standards. These standards are set by the Professional Standards Authority (PSA).
This therapist has indicated that they belong to an Accredited Register.
My work is very much tailored to each client's individual needs, please get in touch to arrange a free 15 minute call to discuss the most appropriate support for you and the costs involved, but as a guide:
- Personal Wellness Packages cost from £385
- Healthy Foundations Packages cost from £285 (one-to-one)*
- Diet and Lifestyle MOT costs £155 (one-to-one)*
* I offer reduced prices per person for couples or groups of 2 or more, please email me for more information
I aim to be fully impartial when making recommendations for laboratory testing and supplements and therefore prefer to pass on helpful practitioner discounts unless any significant additional work is required