'Health is Good Food' By Paediatric and Adult Dietitan Judith Calvin Bsc Hons RD
I am a registered dietitian with the HCPC and the British Dietetic Association and I have a particular interest in the nutrition and health of women, children and their families. If you have any health concerns about you or your child and you wish to consult me for advice I will provide you with professional and up to date scientific evidence based dietary treatment on you or your child’s complaint.
How to Book an Appointment
I offer online web consultations through skype or WhatsApp or telephone consultation and home visits. You can book an appointment by:
1. Clicking the HealthKit website link above or
2.Through my Facebook page or
4. Phone or email me.
What to expect.
The consultation will be informal and relaxed. I will ask questions to get information about the signs and symptoms of the complaint and ask about you or your child's diet history. This is to gather glues and link symptoms together with the foods you’re eating to ascertain the best dietary treatment. I will weigh and measure you and I may request your G.P to take a blood sample to test for nutritional deficiencies. Every person is different, what works for one does not always work for another so my advice is tailored to the individual.
I believe in using good quality inexpensive ingredients when cooking food so I will provide practical recipes and shopping tips to you to help make any changes required easy to implement. I can also do some practical cooking with you and your child in your own home if you would like to build up your skills in the kitchen.
I have children of my own and know first hand as well as working closely with sick children and their parents the trials and stresses of dealing with children who can't or won't eat. I believe very much in a whole family approach and often my advice will benefit other family members.
Here is a list of conditions I have particular experience with.
Type 1 Diabetes and support with carbohydrate counting.
Allergies and intolerances
Overweight and obesity
Nutrition Support - underweight or vitamin and mineral Deficiencies
Tube feeds and blended food via tube feeds. If you have a child that is on a manufactured tube feed I can provide more support on how to safely give your child your own home cooked foods via a tube
ADHD and autism
Picky eaters or selective eaters
Advice with weaning or good nutrition during breastfeeding
Irritable bowl Syndrome and the FODMAPS diet.
Women's health - PCOS, fertility and preconception
I am registered as a health care provider for BUPA, Aviva and Axa so if you have private health insurance you may be liable to consultations with a dietitian as part of your package.
Training, qualifications & experience
I did my undergraduate degree at Robert Gordon University and worked in England for 3 years before returning to Northern Ireland in 2005. I have over 10 years experience as a dietitian working with adults with obesity, coronary heart disease, type 2 diabetes, IBS, Coeliac Disease and PCOS. For 4 years of my career I ran a 12 week healthy lifestyle programme for overweight teenagers and their families which showed a significant reduction in the children's waist circumference and BMI and an improvement in their overall self-esteem by the end.
For the last 7 years I have been working in the Royal Belfast Hospital for Sick Children treating children with cardiac conditions, cystic fibrosis, cancer, type 1 Diabetes, allergies, reflux, coeliac disease, crohn's disease, bowel surgery, children with complex needs, nasogastric and PEG feeds.
I have 2 masters modules in paediatric dietetics from the University of Southampton.
Areas of nutrition I deal with
- Adults and elderly adults
- Anaemia *
- Balanced diet
- Coeliac disease *
- Confidence and self-esteem
- Constipation *
- Crohn's disease *
- Diabetes *
- Diarrhoea *
- Digestive problems *
- Fibromyalgia *
- Food allergy and food intolerance
- Healthy eating
- Heart disease *
- High blood pressure *
- High cholesterol *
- Infants and pre-school children
- Iron deficiency anaemia *
- Irritable bowel syndrome *
- Menopause *
- Obesity *
- Polycystic ovary syndrome *
- Pregnancy and preconception
- Premenstrual syndrome *
- Schoolchildren and teenagers
- Tiredness *
- Weight gain
- Weight management
- Women's nutrition
* If you have been diagnosed or suspect you may have one of the medical conditions starred above, you should consult your GP for advice, diagnosis and treatment and always inform your health professional before starting any alternative or additional therapies, treatments or making any major changes in your diet or exercise programme.
- Web calls/Phone calls* i.e. Skype, WhatsApp, Viber consultations = £45 for an hour and £30 for 30 minutes. You will report to me your weight and height and I will email you information, resources and diet sheets.
- Home visits/clinic appointments* = £60 Ballymena area (10 mile radius) and £80 outside this area for a 60 minute appointment. Home visits include weighing and measuring with written information, resources and diet sheets.
*All appointments include correspondence with your GP (if applicable), an email detailing everything discussed, goals, actions, and resources and a 15 minute follow-up phone call 2 weeks later.
Meal plans (vegetarian, vegan, gluten, wheat, dairy free options available or any other plan can be devised to suit your requirements)
-1 week meal plan* = £50 (personalised to meet your needs and goals whether weight loss, weight gain or improving your overall nutrition. It includes examples of breakfasts, lunches and dinners with portions sizes and recipes for the full 7 days). This is usually added on as part of a package or consultation.
- The Reducer* = £60 (This is a calorie restricted meal plan tailored to your nutritional requirements and how much weight you would like to lose. Includes guidance on portion sizes of carbohydrates, proteins and fats specific to your calorie requirements, and a 7 day example meal plan of breakfasts, lunches and dinners with recipes).
- The Maintainer* = £60 (This meal plan is devised to meet your calorie requirements and aims to maintain your weight as it is now but improve your health dramatically. Suitable for anyone who wants to improve their diet and health but not nessarily lose weight or someone who has been through some of my other plans and is now at their goal weight and wants to maintain it. Includes guidance on portion sizes of carbohydrates, proteins and fats specific to your calorie requirements, and a 7 day example meal plan with breakfasts, lunches and dinners with recipes.).
- The Pick Up* = £60 (This is a weight gaining meal plan tailored to your nutritional requirements and how much weight you would like to gain. Includes guidance on portion sizes of carbohydrates, proteins and fats specific to your calorie requirements, and a 7 day example meal plan of breakfasts, lunches and dinners with recipes. This is suitable for anyone who has been through an illness and has recently lost weight or for someone who has always been slim and has struggled to gain weight).
*All of the above include an initial 30 minute phone or web call to get information to work out your nutritional requirements and what your expectations and goals are. You will receive follow-up texts and emails in-between to keep you motivated (except otherwise stated). The meal plans will be emailed to you no later than 10 working days after our phone call. Because they are personalised to you, I require some time to write it and amend it to suit you.
1. The Cure = This is suitable for people who are looking for specific information on specific diets or just need some expert advice to guide them on the right path. Includes written or emailed information, resources, diet sheets and GP contact (if applicable).
- The Cure - Web call - £70. Includes 2 x 1 hour web call consultations (initial consultation and a follow-up 1 month later).
- The Cure - Home Visit/clinic- £110 Includes 2 x 1 hour home visits (Initial consultation and a follow-up 1 month later)
2. The Cure + Meal Plan = This is suitable for people who are looking for specific information on specific diets or expert advice to guide them on the write path, but would like their diet written specifically for them. Includes a personalised monthly meal plan, diet sheets and resources and GP contact (if applicable).
- Web call - £120 (Includes a 60 minute web call and a 60 minute follow-up appointment 1 month later plus a meal plan).
- Home Visit/clinic -£145 (Includes a 60 minute home visit consultation and a 60 minute follow-up appointment 1 month later plus a meal plan.
3. Small Changes Big Benefits = This Includes 5 fortnightly 30 minute web call or home visit consultations (8 weeks in total) plus phone calls in-between to keep you motivated. The initial session will discuss with you changes that you want to make about your diet and lifestyle and set some individual goals. These goals will change and new goals set over the period of 8 weeks. The plan is designed to encourage you to make small changes over a period of time. This is not a diet or weight loss plan it simply aims to encourage you to make gradual and persistent changes with support from a professional. Research shows that when you make small changes that are achievable, they eventually become good habits for life. A recent study showed that it takes on average 66 days for a change in habit to become permanent which is why all my packages are 8 -12 weeks long. Suitable for children, adults or families. You will be given or emailed goal setting resources.
- Small Changes Big Benefits - £200
5. The short shift = 8-12 week weight loss programme for those of you who need to get into a little black dress, a bikini, or for a bride to be etc. = Includes 2 x 60 minute home visits or webcalls at the beginning and end where I will weigh and measure you and weekly web call consultations in-between x 7. The package also includes my reducer meal plan and goal setting, which will be reviewed every 2 weeks to adjust portion sizes as you lose weight = £300
6. The cook = 4 week cookery course in your own home. One to one 2 hour sessions with you or you and child or you and your partner. Suitable for people who haven’t much confidence in the kitchen and would like to build their skills in order to make more home cooked meals for their family = £400 includes all ingredients and a copy of recipes used and more.
Individual Recipes/Food diary analysis
-Create and nutritionally analyse an individual recipe = £25 per recipe
-Create a recipe without nutritional analysis = £15 per recipe
-To nutritionally analyse a recipe that has already been created = £15 per recipe
- Nutritional analysis of Food Diaries = £30/per weekly diary.
Includes a 1 or 2 hour session for a group of people where I will do an interactive session such as cook a family meal or a supermarket tour or a talk on a specific subject. This is suitable for group sessions ie mother and toddler groups, community groups, sure-start, breast feeding groups, mothers of babies of weaning age, weight loss groups, support groups, workplace or industry.
1 hour talk = £100 and £70 per hour there after
1 hour demonstration = £120 and £80 per hour thereafter
Content creation such as Blogs/Newspaper articles/magazine articles, developing diet sheets or nutritional content for industries and business etc.
Ring me for further information. I am flexible and can design a plan suitable for your needs. All prizes are negotiable.
All prices are inclusive of preparation time.
Type of session
|Online nutrition support:||Yes|
|Telephone nutrition support:||Yes|
|Face to face nutrition:||Yes|
Monday and Thursday evenings from 7.00-9.00pm Wednesday all day from 9-4pm Saturday mornings from 9-12md