'Health is Good Food' By Paediatric Dietitian Judith Calvin Bsc Hons RD
I am a registered dietitian with the HCPC and the British Dietetic Association and I have a particular interest in the nutrition of children with allergies and intolerances, feeding difficulties, reflux, and picky eaters. I also see adults and children with bowel problems, such as IBS or Coeliac Disease. If you have any health concerns about you or your child and you wish to consult me for advice I will provide you with professional and up to date scientific evidence based dietary treatment on you or your child’s diet.
How to Book an Appointment
I offer home visits, clinic appointments and online consultations through skype or WhatsApp. You can book an appointment by:
1. Clicking the HealthKit website link above or
2.Through my Facebook page or
4. Phone or email me.
What to expect.
The consultation will be informal and relaxed. I will ask questions to get information about the signs and symptoms of the complaint and ask about you or your child's diet history. This is to gather glues and link symptoms together with the foods you’re eating to ascertain the best dietary treatment. I will weigh and measure you and I may request your G.P to take a blood sample to test for nutritional deficiencies. Every person is different, what works for one does not always work for another so my advice is tailored to the individual.
I believe in using good whole foods when cooking, so I will provide practical recipes and shopping tips to you to help make any changes required easy to implement.
I have a child of my own so I know first hand as well as working closely with sick children and their parents the trials and stresses of dealing with children who can't or won't eat. I believe very much in a whole family approach and often my advice will benefit other family members.
Here is a list of conditions I have particular experience with.
Type 1 Diabetes and support with carbohydrate counting.
Allergies and intolerances
Overweight and obesity
Nutrition Support - underweight or vitamin and minerals
ADHD and autism
Picky eaters or selective eaters
Advice with weaning or good nutrition during breastfeeding
Irritable bowl Syndrome
Women's health - PCOS, fertility and preconception
I am registered as a health care provider for BUPA, Aviva and Axa so if you have private health insurance you may be liable to consultations with a dietitian as part of your package.
Training, qualifications & experience
I did my undergraduate degree at Robert Gordon University and worked in England for 3 years before returning to Northern Ireland in 2005. I have over 10 years experience as a dietitian working with adults with obesity, coronary heart disease, type 2 diabetes, IBS, Coeliac Disease and PCOS. For 4 years of my career I ran a 12 week healthy lifestyle programme for overweight teenagers and their families which showed a significant reduction in the children's waist circumference and BMI and an improvement in their overall self-esteem by the end.
For 8 years worked in a Children's hospital treating children with cardiac conditions, cystic fibrosis, cancer, type 1 Diabetes, allergies, reflux, coeliac disease, crohn's disease, bowel surgery, children with complex needs, nasogastric and PEG feeds.
I have 2 masters modules in paediatric dietetics from the University of Southampton.
Areas of nutrition I deal with
- Adults and elderly adults
- Anaemia *
- Balanced diet
- Coeliac disease *
- Confidence and self-esteem
- Constipation *
- Crohn's disease *
- Diabetes *
- Diarrhoea *
- Digestive problems *
- Fibromyalgia *
- Food allergy and food intolerance
- Healthy eating
- Heart disease *
- High blood pressure *
- High cholesterol *
- Infants and pre-school children
- Iron deficiency anaemia *
- Irritable bowel syndrome *
- Menopause *
- Nutrition and mental health
- Obesity *
- Polycystic ovary syndrome *
- Pregnancy and preconception
- Premenstrual syndrome *
- Schoolchildren and teenagers
- Tiredness *
- Weight gain
- Weight management
- Women's nutrition
* If you have been diagnosed or suspect you may have one of the medical conditions starred above, you should consult your GP for advice, diagnosis and treatment and always inform your health professional before starting any alternative or additional therapies, treatments or making any major changes in your diet or exercise programme.
-Clinic appointments*= £60 for an hour appointment. Includes weighing and measuring and written information tailored to your needs.
-Video calls* i.e. Skype/WhatsApp appointments = £60 for an hour. You will report to me your weight and height and I will email you information, resources and diet sheets.
- Home visits* = £60 Ballymena area (10 mile radius) and £80 outside this area for a 60 minute appointment. Home visits include weighing and measuring with written information, resources and diet sheets.
*All appointments include written correspondence with your GP and Health Visitor (If applicable and a follow up phone call 2 weeks later).
Meal plans (vegetarian, vegan, gluten, wheat, dairy free options available or any other plan can be devised to suit your requirements)
-1 week meal plan* = £60 (personalised to meet your needs and goals whether weight loss, weight gain or improving your overall nutrition. It includes examples of breakfasts, lunches and dinners with portions sizes and recipes for the full 7 days).
* The meal plans will be emailed to you no later than 10 working days. Because they are personalised to you, I require some time to write it and amend it to suit you.
Bundle Number 1 - £100
A bundle of 2 appointments and a phone call between appointments and correspondence with the GP and Health Visitor.
Bundle Number 2 - £150
A bundle of 3 appointments and 2 phone calls between appointments and correspondence with the GP and Health Visitor.
Bundle Number 3 - £190
A bundle of 4 appointments with phone calls, emails and support in between appointments plus correspondence with your GP and Health Visitor
The 'Shift' Package - £160
Eat better, change habits, improve your health, curb cravings and lose weight. This is an 8-12 week healthy lifestyle programme that offers one to one personalised advice and group support. Research shows that when you feel accountable for your health and get support from like minded people you are more likely to change habits for life.Includes:
- 3 clinic appointments at the beginning, middle and end where you will be weighed and have your measurements done.
- You will receive a personalised portion size guide based on your weight and goals, meal planner, portion spoon, tape measure as well as recipes for breakfasts, lunches and dinners.
- Free access to the dietitian via the oviva app. You will receive an email inviting you to the app with your password.
- The app will provide any time, any place message support.
- The dietitian will set up a group of other people following the same package so that you will receive support from other group members via the app. Post pictures of your meals and share recipes with group members.
- Track your own weight, measurements and exercise via the app and link your fitbit to the app which will also be linked to the dietitian.
IBS and Fodmaps Package - £160
This is for people where the first line dietary advice for IBS has not resolved symptoms. The FODMAP diet stands for Fermentable, Oligosaccharides, Disaccharides, Monosaccharides and Polyols. This is a scientifically proven diet for people with IBS and will resolve the symptoms in 75% of people where first line advice has not worked. The package includes:
- An initial consultation called the 'elimination phase' to advice and train on the principles of the FODMAP diet.
- A follow-up consultation called the 'reintroduction phase' to re-introduce FODMAPS back into the diet.
- A final consultation called the 'maintenance phase'- where it is determined which foods are a trigger.
- Throughout this process you will receive support from me via the oviva app, where you can post questions, photos of meals and get support.
Individual Recipes/Food diary analysis
-Create and nutritionally analyse an individual recipe = £25 per recipe
-Create a recipe without nutritional analysis = £15 per recipe
-To nutritionally analyse a recipe that has already been created = £15 per recipe
- Nutritional analysis of Food Diaries = £30/per weekly diary.
Includes a 1 or 2 hour session for a group of people where I will do an interactive session such as cook a family meal or a supermarket tour or a talk on a specific subject. This is suitable for group sessions ie mother and toddler groups, community groups, sure-start, breast feeding groups, mothers of babies of weaning age, weight loss groups, support groups, workplace or industry.
1 hour talk = £100 and £70 per hour there after
1 hour demonstration = £120 and £80 per hour thereafter
Content creation such as Blogs/Newspaper articles/magazine articles, developing diet sheets or nutritional content for industries and business etc.
Ring me for further information. I am flexible and can design a plan suitable for your needs. All prizes are negotiable.
All prices are inclusive of preparation time.
Type of session
|Online nutrition support:||Yes|
|Telephone nutrition support:||Yes|
|Face to face nutrition:||Yes|
Tuesday evenings from 7.00-9.00pm Monday and Thursday from 1.30-5pm and 9-4pm Saturday mornings from 9-12md