'Health is Good Food' By Paediatric Dietitian Judith Calvin Bsc Hons RD
I am a registered dietitian with the HCPC and the British Dietetic Association and I have a particular interest in the nutrition of children with allergies and intolerances, feeding difficulties, reflux, and picky eaters. I also see adults and children with bowel problems, such as IBS or Coeliac Disease. If you have any health concerns about you or your child and you wish to consult me for advice I will provide you with professional and up to date scientific evidence based dietary treatment on you or your child’s diet.
How to Book an Appointment
I offer home visits, clinic appointments and online consultations through MS Teams, zoom or WhatsApp. You can book an appointment by:
1. Sending a message through this site.
2. Visiting my website - click on the website link.
3. Through my Facebook page or
5. Phone or email me.
What to expect.
The consultation will be informal and relaxed. I will ask questions to get information about the signs and symptoms of the complaint and ask about you or your child's diet history. This is to gather glues and link symptoms together with the foods you’re eating to ascertain the best dietary treatment. I will weigh and measure you and I may request your G.P to take a blood sample to test for nutritional deficiencies. Every person is different, what works for one does not always work for another so my advice is tailored to the individual.
I believe in using good whole foods when cooking, so I will provide practical recipes and shopping tips to you to help make any changes required easy to implement.
I have a child of my own so I know first hand as well as working closely with sick children and their parents the trials and stresses of dealing with children who can't or won't eat. I believe very much in a whole family approach and often my advice will benefit other family members.
Here is a list of conditions I have particular experience with.
Women's Health - particularly fertility, PCOS and Gut problems.
Allergies and intolerances
Nutrition Support - underweight or vitamin and minerals
ADHD and autism
Picky eaters or selective eaters
Advice with weaning or good nutrition during breastfeeding
Irritable bowl Syndrome (IBS)
I am registered as a health care provider for Cigna, Aviva and Vitality so if you have private health insurance you may be liable to consultations with a dietitian as part of your package.
Training, qualifications & experience
I did my undergraduate degree at Robert Gordon University and worked in England for 3 years before returning to Northern Ireland in 2005. I have over 10 years experience as a dietitian working with adults with obesity, coronary heart disease, diabetes, IBS, Coeliac Disease and PCOS. For 4 years of my career I ran a 12 week healthy lifestyle programme for overweight teenagers and their families which showed a significant reduction in the children's waist circumference and BMI and an improvement in their overall self-esteem by the end.
For 8 years I worked in a Children's hospital treating children with cardiac conditions, cystic fibrosis, cancer, type 1 Diabetes, allergies, reflux, coeliac disease, crohn's disease, bowel surgery, children with complex needs, nasogastric and PEG feeds.
I have 2 masters modules in paediatric dietetics from the University of Plymouth.
Registered / Accredited
Being registered/accredited with a professional body means an individual must have achieved a substantial level of training and experience approved by their member organisation.
Health and Care Professions Council
The HCPC are an independent, UK-wide health regulator. They set standards of professional training, performance and conduct for 14 professions.
They keep a register of health professionals who meet their standards, and they take action if registered health professionals fall below those standards. They were created by a piece of legislation called the Health Professions Order 2001.
Registration means that a health professional meets national standards for their professional training, performance and conduct.
Visit my website for a full range of services and prices https://healthisgoodfood.co.uk
or ring me on 07718068383 for a package tailored to suit your needs.
-Clinic appointments*= An hour appointment. Includes weighing and measuring and written information tailored to your needs.
-Video calls* i.e. Skype/WhatsApp appointments = An hour appointment. You will report to me your weight and height and I will email you information, resources and diet sheets.
- Home visits* = Ballymena area (20 mile radius) for a 60 minute appointment. Home visits include weighing and measuring with written information, resources and diet sheets.
*All appointments include written correspondence with your GP and Health Visitor (If applicable and a follow up phone call.
Bundle Number 1
A bundle of 2 appointments and a phone call between appointments and correspondence with the GP and Health Visitor.
Bundle Number 2
A bundle of 3 appointments and 2 phone calls between appointments and correspondence with the GP and Health Visitor.
Cow's Milk Allergy Package
This Package covers monthly appointments over the duration of the allergy until the child has grown out of it. For more information on cow's milk allergy go to my website https//healthisgoodfood.co.uk. This Package includes:
- Monthly appointments
- Appointment 1- to advise you on a dairy free diet for either you or your child and prescription letter to your GP (if your child is not breastfeeding) for a special milk free formula.
- Appointment 2 - 2-4 weeks later where it is important to challenge your baby with milk protein in their diet.
- Appointment 3 - around 6 months of age to provide milk free advice for the introduction of solid foods.
- Appointment 4 - usually when the baby is 9-12 months old, will be to guide and support you on the reintroduction of dairy back into the babies diet.
- Written communication with your GP, Consultant or Health Visitor. A referral to your local allergy service (only in the case of a suspected IgE mediated allergy).
- Monitoring of your baby's weight and length and documented on a growth chart.
- Recipes and information on dairy free alternatives.
IBS and Fodmaps Package
This is for people where the first line dietary advice for IBS has not resolved symptoms. The FODMAP diet stands for Fermentable, Oligosaccharides, Disaccharides, Monosaccharides and Polyols. This is a scientifically proven diet for people with IBS and will resolve the symptoms in 75% of people where first line advice has not worked. The package includes:
- An initial consultation called the 'elimination phase' to advise and train on the principles of the FODMAP diet.
- A follow-up consultation called the 'reintroduction phase' to re-introduce FODMAPS back into the diet.
- A final consultation called the 'maintenance phase'- where it is determined which foods are a trigger.
- Throughout this process you will receive support from me via email or whatsapp messages, where you can post questions, photos of meals and get support.
Includes a 1 or 2 hour session for a group of people where I will do an interactive session such as cook a family meal or a supermarket tour or a talk on a specific subject. This is suitable for group sessions ie mother and toddler groups, community groups, sure-start, breast feeding groups, mothers of babies of weaning age, weight loss groups, support groups, workplace or industry.
1 hour talk = £100 and £70 per hour there after.
Ring me for further information. I am flexible and can design a plan suitable for your needs. All prizes are negotiable.
All prices are inclusive of preparation time.
Due to Covid 19. I am only offering video call consultations at the moment via zoom, MS Teams or WhatsApp