Joan Gavin BSc RD - Children's Dietitian
I am a registered children’s dietitian professionally trained and qualified to assess, diagnose and treat children's diet and nutrition problems from birth to 18 years. I have over 20 years' clinical experience in the NHS, and with particular expertise in food allergies and gastrointestinal conditions such as irritable bowel syndrome and inflammatory bowel disease. I also have a Diploma in Child Psychology and significant experience in dealing with children who are fussy eaters. I always provide individually tailored dietary advice for your child based on the latest evidence in childhood nutrition. Like many of you, I also juggle work with being a mum to two lovely boys so lots of personal experience too!
I am registered with The British Dietetic Association and Health Care Professions Council. I am a member of the British Society of Paediatric Gastroenterology, Hepatology and Nutrition and the Food Allergy and Intolerance Specialist Group of the British Dietetic Association. I have published peer reviewed journal articles and presented at national and international conferences on nutrition related medical conditions.
I hold weekly private clinics at Healthspace, Bishops Waltham, and at Spire Hospital, Southampton. I am also able to offer home visits within a 10 mile radius of Winchester, particularly recommended for children who are fussy eaters. I offer Skype consultations for those who live further afield.
Contact me now to discuss any concerns you may have about your child's diet and find out how I can help you.
Training, qualifications & experience
- BSc (Hons) Nutrition and Dietetics.
- State Registered Dietitian with the Health Care Professions Council and the British Dietetic Association.
- Masters Degree in Applied Paediatric Nutrition.
- Diploma in Child Psychology.
- Presented nationally and internationally on paediatric research and childhood nutrition.
- Lectured at Southampton and Solent Universities to a range of healthcare professionals including GP and Health Visitors.
- Published paediatric nutrition articles in peer reviewed journals and books.
Areas of nutrition I deal with
- Anaemia *
- Balanced diet
- Coeliac disease *
- Constipation *
- Crohn's disease *
- Diarrhoea *
- Digestive problems *
- Food allergy and food intolerance
- Healthy eating
- Infants and pre-school children
- Iron deficiency anaemia *
- Irritable bowel syndrome *
- Migraine *
* If you have been diagnosed or suspect you may have one of the medical conditions starred above, you should consult your GP for advice, diagnosis and treatment and always inform your health professional before starting any alternative or additional therapies, treatments or making any major changes in your diet or exercise programme.
£85 - initial consultation (£10 extra for home visit).
£60 - review consultation.
“With Joan’s help, my baby went from a non-sleeping, poorly boy to a healthy, happy, thriving baby. She has always had my son’s best interests at the forefront. I really don’t think we would have discovered what was wrong without Joan’s help, and I will be forever grateful to her.”
Lucy, Winchester (baby aged 4 months with cows' milk allergy and soya allergy)
"Our daughter was refluxing multiple times every evening after feeds despite medication. Seeing Joan was the best and most effective thing we did. Joan was kind, understanding and empathetic throughout and the plan she had created for our daughter brought about more change than anything else we had tried. To us she was helpful beyond measure!"
Emily (8 month old baby with reflux)
Type of session
|Online nutrition support:||Yes|
|Telephone nutrition support:||Yes|
|Face to face nutrition:||Yes|
Wednesday morning clinics at Healthspace in Bishops Waltham / Monday afternoon clinics at Spire Hospital Southampton / Evening appointments on request / Home visits / Skype consultations