How nutritional coaching can help you to lose weight for good
Coaching is not something bizarre where someone messes with your brain, telling you what you need to say or do! Coaching is actually about helping you to get from where you are now to where you want to be, much quicker and more effectively than if you were working alone. Coaching works for any area of our lives, but it’s particularly effective when it comes to nutrition and weight-loss.
Us nutritional coaches would all be rich if we gained a pound for every time a client came to us saying that they really want to lose weight, do more exercise or just eating healthier but something just stops them. What stops them is fear! Fear of not finding the time, financial pressure, conflicting family commitments or opinions. Often what the people around you think will prevent you from doing it, and you just carry on as before. Nothing majorly wrong with that, but are you happy?
Just think, the word fear could stand for 'false evidence appearing real'.
All of us humans are very resourceful creatures, but we just don’t pay attention to ourselves enough these days. We are too busy! But coaching – talking to someone who will listen and guide you through the maze of potential is a brilliant way to get what you want – quicker.
I would like to give you the framework of the G.R.O.W model (goal, reality, options, will/way forward) so that you can try it yourself. The G.R.O.W model is one of the greatest coaching tools to help you realise your own true goals and come up with options to get you there. It will help you to take ownership and commit to your goals!
Try it for size and see how it fits you! It’s a great mental exercise to juggle your mind. See what happens.
Try this exercise:
Think of one area of your life you would like to improve. This can be anything from weight loss, career development, more family time, spirituality, travel, better fitness and health etc. Put the thing you want to work on through the questions below to clarify and refine things for you.
This will take 10-15 minutes of your time and the benefits to you should far outweigh this small investment.
1. Ask and answer the questions:
- What do you I want? What do I really, really want?
- How will I know when I have achieved it? How will I feel? Can you see yourself doing it?
- When do want to achieve it by?
- How will achieving it benefit me?
- What have I done specifically to achieve my goal so far?
- What challenges have I met and what options have I used to overcome this?
- What abilities or strengths do I already have which may help? Use these resources. You have more than you think you have. i.e. I want to lose weight. I know I can do it, as I lost a lot of weight in the past - so I can do it again, but bit differently this time.
- What can I do?
- What else…?
- What if… (e.g. you had the time you need?)
- What is your fastest, easiest, preferred option forward?
- What might stop you and what might you do about it, if it happens?
- How will you commit? To your reflection in the mirror, through a post on Facebook?
- When will you take action? Now? Tonight?
2. Write all of it down on paper. Those who write their goals down have significantly greater results. Talking from personal experience here.
Well done! You did it! How does it feel? Where is the problem? Is it still there? How much smaller or bigger does it look now? These simple questions can have a profound impact on so many areas of our life and not just nutrition. Use them!
"Whether you think you can, or you think you can't – you are right." – Henry Ford.
It really is your choice to do or change something and nobody else’s! However, there are people (nutritional coaches) around you that can help along the way with losing weight and eating healthier.
Enjoy the journey.
Nutritionist Resource is not responsible for the articles published by members. The views expressed are those of the member who wrote the article.
About Angelika Cutuk-Short
Angelika has a masters in nutrition and is a qualified NLP (Neuro Linguistic Programming) coach. She is a specialist in weight loss management. She combines nutritional science with motivational coaching to change bad habits and introduce good ones. She is the nutritional editor for Locals Mum Online and a nutritional consultant for Lemon Detox.… Read more
Located in Sutton and Carshalton.
Can also offer telephone/online appointments.
To book an appointment, please get in contact: