Ten facts you never knew about iron
There are many legends circulating around on the topics of iron source and origins. In this article, I will explain what promotes iron absorption, which inhibits source, and which foods you should consume.
1. Iron stores: a human body absorbs Iron. Most reserves come from plant foods.
2. The amount of iron plants provide the body with: varied plant food diets gives the body the amount of iron that it needs.
3. High iron level: high iron levels endanger the health of the heart.
4. High iron levels in reservoirs: a high level of iron reserves (ferritin) may suggest a fatty liver.
5. Acidic foods: foods that are acidic reduce the iron stores in the body; meat, dairy, eggs, sugar, white flour, alcohol, caffeine.
6. Caffeine inhibits iron absorption: coffee, cocoa, black tea, white tea, green tea, energy drinks and cola.
7. Vitamin C: vitamin C helps iron absorption, so it is recommended to eat iron-rich foods with vitamin C rich foods. Most vegetables are recommended as is the integration of lemon and red pepper.
8. Absorption of iron from meat and poultry: meat and poultry absorption is very available to the body but it is no advantage. The body does not know to regulate the amount of iron absorbed and excess can settle in various organs (liver, thyroid, etc).
9. Dairy products: Dairy products low in iron as well as inhibit iron absorption when eating them with more food.
10. Phytic acid and oxalic acids are found in foods such as vegetables full of whole grains and legumes. They have slightly inhibited iron absorption but not in such a way that it will be impossible to absorb the iron in general. In fact, this is the way the body absorbs as much as we need.
Plant foods rich in iron
- swiss chard
- various other leafy greens
- herbs (parsley, dill, cilantro, etc.)
- sweet potato
- passion fruit
- black/red/white beans
- soy (edamame)
- lentils all colors
Nuts and seeds:
- sesame seeds
Highlight: many plant foods contain iron, some amount of higher and some less, but what is important is diversity in the diet.
Find a nutritionist dealing with iron deficiency anaemia
or try our advanced search