The adrenal fatigue quiz
Constantly stressed and exhausted? Fatigue has become the epidemic of the 21st century. Some people don’t wake up feeling refreshed and need cups of coffee to get going. Others get afternoon dips and crave sugar to keep going. Others can’t understand why they have been gaining weight, especially around the middle. Others get a surge of energy in the evening, besides feeling tired all day and struggle to go to bed on time.
These aren't healthy habits to fall into, and shouldn't be part of your everyday routine. Take the quiz below, to find out if you are suffering from adrenal exhaustion.
Start by identifying any symptoms you have been experiencing in the last year. Select between ‘none’, ‘mild’, ‘moderate’ and ‘severe’ for each point.
- I have difficulty falling asleep.
- I can’t stay asleep.
- I don’t wake up feeling refreshed.
- I feel sleepy in the afternoon, or after lunch.
- I feel tired all the time.
- I have gained weight recently, especially in the trunk.
- My memory is getting worse.
- I can't focus; I have brain fog.
- I crave sweets and carbs.
- I crave salty foods.
- When I am tired I reach for sugary/fatty foods for energy.
- I need coffee/tea to get me going through the day.
- I can become easily irritable or angry.
- I can't handle pressure like I used to.
- I have acne.
- My hair is thinning/falling out.
- I get frequent colds and flu.
- I have low libido.
- My menstrual cycle is irregular.
- I am intolerant to cold or temperature changes.
- I don't have the same enthusiasm for life as I used to.
- I get dizzy from sitting to standing.
- I frequently fall asleep in the cinema/while watching TV or when reading a book.
- I feel drained rather than energised after exercise.
- I often need a nap to keep going through the day.
- I feel like I have lost my vitality.
- It takes me a long time to recover from the gym.
- I feel more anxious than I used to.
- I am not as productive in work as I used to be.
- I feel very irritable if I go a long time without food.
- I feel like I need some alcohol to unwind in the evening.
- I have a sudden surge of energy in the evening.
- My blood pressure is low.
Now add up your symptoms to calculate your score: 0 points for ‘none’, one point for ‘mild’, two points for ‘moderate’ and three points for ‘severe’.
Interpretation of results
0-8 points: Congrats! Your adrenals and hormones are at a good level. You know how to deal with stressful situations. Make sure you follow a good diet, exercise routine and lifestyle to continue enjoying vibrant health.
9-17 points: Your adrenals are mildly overworking. You are wired most of the time. You have recently started experiencing some mild changes in your stamina or mood, or you may still not feel any difference. You should start taking action before your symptoms progress.
18-25 points: Your adrenals have been moderately affected. You have been over exhausting yourself, and it has started taking a toll on your life. You should start prioritising and taking action to restore adrenal function.
26 points or more: You are most probably suffering from adrenal fatigue/exhaustion. You either feel tired but wired, or constantly tired. You need to take dietary and lifestyle action to heal your adrenals. A supplement programme is necessary in order to restore adrenal health. A good practitioner can help you see significant improvement in one month and you could recover completely in three to six months.
The next steps
This test is just preliminary, and under no circumstances should it be used for self-diagnosis. If you have any medical concerns, please seek advice from your medical GP first.
If you are looking for support with nutrition and lifestyle adjustments, reach out to a trained nutrition professional who can assist with working towards your goals. Please feel free to contact me via my profile.
Find a nutritionist dealing with tiredness
All therapists are verified professionals.