3 steps to make the perfect smoothie
The breakfast smoothieMakes 1
- ½ banana, cut into chunks
- ¼ cup of rolled oats
- 1/3 cup of natural yoghurt
- 2 tbsp of coconut oil
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1/3 cup of fresh orange juice
The green smoothieMakes 1
- 2 cups of chopped kale with the stems removed
- ¾ cup of dairy-free milk
- 1 banana, cut into chunks
- ¼ cup of natural yoghurt
- ¼ cup of pineapple chunks
- 2 tbsp of peanut butter
- 1-3 tbsp of honey (optional)
3 steps to the perfect green smoothieChoose your base – To begin with, you’ll need to have some liquid in your blender. The more liquid you add, the runnier your smoothie will be. You can use water, milk, unsweetened dairy-free milks, plain, natural or coconut yoghurt or chilled herbal tea. Add a little sweetness – To ensure your smoothies is palatable as well as nutritious, you may like to add some natural sweetness from fruits such as berries, apples, pears, pineapples, or more zesty fruits, like lemon or lime. Add veggies, spices and greens – Supercharge your smoothies with vegetables. Leafy greens like spinach and kale will give your smoothies that rich green colour, while packing your blend with heaps of essential vitamins and minerals. Not only will spices add a kick of flavour, they will up your smoothie's beneficial nutritional properties. Top tips
- Freeze fruit and veg in single layers on a baking sheet.
- Divide mixed fruit and vegetables into individual portions and add to a labelled freezer bag.
- When you want a smoothie, add the contents of your frozen smoothie pack to your liquid base.
Find a nutritionist dealing with healthy eating
All therapists are verified professionals.