Three teas a day could keep the doctor away
According to experts drinking lots of tea could help us to fight tumours strokes and infections.
Professor Simon Gibbons from the University of London School of Pharmacy says to reap the full benefits of tea we need to be drinking three cups, each one having steeped for five minutes which is ample time for the hot water to extract the plant material.
The four main types of tea leaves are black, green, white and oolong, all of which contain a myriad of antioxidants and promote numerous health benefits including the following:
- Reduces stroke risk- A US study revealed that five servings per day reduced LDL cholesterol by 11 per cent.
- Aids digestion – Green tea helps keep your digestive system regular. Peppermint tea and Ginger tea are also beneficial.
- Improves brain function – Scientists have found that those who consume more than 100ml of tea a day appeared to have a 34 per cent lower risk of being diagnosed with the most common form of brain tumour (glioma).
- Anti-cancer – A study in Taiwan found that one cup of green tea a day can reduce lung cancer risk for those carrying a certain gene.
- Boosts immune system – Alkylamines, which are chemicals found in tea are also present in various bacteria and parasites. This means that by drinking tea we prepare our immune cells to recognise these alkylamines so they are ready to fight them.
Search for a nutritionist that can help with Cancer
or try our advanced search