Olianna Gourli - BSc(Hons), DipNat, DipNT - Clinic of Naturopathic Medicine
+447541249021 / +447541249021
As a Naturopath and Nutritional Therapist with a scientific background, my aim is to find the underlying cause of any chronic condition from physiological signs to biochemical and hormonal imbalances, as well as mental and psychological health and provide highly individualised plans. A broad case history is taken and blood/functional testing is done when indicated. A tailor-made health supporting protocol is given, including nutritional and lifestyle advice, as well as supplements if relevant.
“Health: A state of complete physical, mental and social well-being and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity”
While working as a researcher and biomedical scientist in the haematology department of diagnostic health care centres, I noted the importance of prevention in health and disease. Following these years in a conventional medical setting and some health challenges of my own, I reflected upon the need of integrative therapy provision in the medical sector. I strongly believe that the key to good health lies in a preventative and holistic multimodal approach which takes into account the body as a whole, views each individual as absolutely unique, addresses the root of illness rather than just its symptoms, and in which nutrition plays an essential role.
As a Scientist and Nutritional Therapist I help people with all sorts of chronic complaints and illnesses to change their diet and lifestyle so that they can optimise their health. Given my background in scientific research and systematic reviews, I am an advocate of evidence-based medicine and will only use recommendations for which there is sound scientific evidence.
What to expect?
Before your initial consultation, you will be asked to complete a health and nutritional assessment questionnaire and to fill out a three-day food diary. It is important that you take the time to fill these out as all of them will help make the connections between the foods you eat and your current physiological and/or psychological symptoms, as well as maximise the time available in clinic.
During your initial consultation a detailed case history will be taken and your health questionnaire diet diary and most recent blood test results will be analysed and discussed, as well as undertaking some non-invasive diagnostic techniques, if required, such as: weight, pH analysis, BP, tongue and nail examination, metabolic typing and iridology, zinc deficiency test etc. The root cause of disease is often multifactorial, including, but not limited to, genes and genetic variations, environmental stressors, perceived stress levels, as well as other internal stressors (circadian disruption, glycemic dysregulation, inflammatory signals), nutritional status, exercise regime, sleep hygiene, toxin overload, infections, medication history, life outlook, mind-body connections, work-life balance and more.
A programme will be emailed within 24 to 48h of the initial consultation, including detailed explanation of how your dietary and lifestyle habits may be contributing to your symptoms, as well as bespoke nutrition and lifestyle recommendations. A shorter Skype/telephone session will be arranged for further explanation of your plan and potential questions. High-quality natural supplements (nutraceuticals, dietary herbs, Bach flower remedies, tissue salts, basic homeopathic remedies, therapeutic teas) may be included in your plan specific to your requirements, if needed. It is desirable that you only take supplements prescribed to you and for a specific time frame. The programmes are always highly personalised to address your specific issues, and suit your lifestyle and daily commitments. Comprehensive laboratory tests (conventional blood and/or functional testing) may be required, depending on your unique needs. By testing for nutrient, biochemical and genetic markers, plans can be even more personalised and results are achieved faster.
The nutritional plan is based on a wholesome balanced diet for all clients. According to your individual needs the plan may suggest specific food eliminations, but always under supervision and for a specific period of time, or recommendations of therapeutic foods to be included more in your diet. The aim is to educate clients on how to listen to their bodily needs and reprogramme their bodies to enjoy a healthy wholesome diet, while avoiding fad diets. A healthy protocol should be easy to follow, enjoyable and not restrictive. The client will learn the difference between a healthy balanced diet and an allegedly ”healthy” fad diet, as well as the dissimilarity between high-quality controlled supplementation and high-street doubtful-quality supplements.
All health and nutrition protocols are developed very meticulously; based on the latest scientific research. They are tailored to fit your unique biochemistry and bodily needs, while targeting the underlying cause of your symptoms rather than the symptoms themselves, as is unfortunately most often seen in the conventional medical and nutritional practice.
Depending on your individual needs a follow-up is booked at 3-6 weeks of your initial consultation and will become less frequent as improvement is seen. It is advisable that you come for at least two follow-up consultations to review your progress. As discussed below, naturopathic nutritional therapy is not a quick fix and requires a large degree of self-motivation and compliance. Follow-up consultations are used to give on-going support and advice, as well as monitor progress, make appropriate adjustments and evaluate test results.
How quickly can I expect to see results?
You will almost always start seeing positive changes within the first week of the initial consultation (such as improved energy, better sleep, improved digestion, enhanced mood and clearer mind), however the time needed for complete restoration of balance and infirmity is highly dependent on the unique constitution of the individual, the chronicity of symptoms and the level of compliance and determination. The longer you have a disease/symptom, the longer your body will need to restore homeostasis. Unlike conventional medicine, where medication is intended to act immediately, with naturopathic medicine your body will need more time, as the aim is to provide deep healing and address the problem from its root, rather than its branches (symptoms). While addressing the root cause of the problem at a deep level, a good naturopath, will also manage the symptoms, in order to provide relief and minimise suffering, but always in a gentle, natural way, which means no adverse reactions or long-tern side-effects.
How many consultations will I need?
On average clients have 2-3 follow-up consultations depending on their health concerns, initial level of health and motivation/compliance. With most health problems, three to six months allows the body enough time to rectify the problem and restore vitality.
Initial: 60-75 min
Follow-up: 45-60 min.
HOW CAN WE HELP
‘I’m tired all the time’
‘I’m feeling low’
‘My digestion isn’t right’
‘I can’t shift this extra weight’
‘I can’t cope like I used to’
‘I’m struggling to sleep’
‘I can’t concentrate’
‘I have little motivation’
‘I need a cup of tea/coffee to get me going in the morning’
‘My energy slumps about 3 pm and I crave something sweet’
These are a few of the complaints I hear in the clinic every day.
Our busy lifestyles, stress, dietary habits and polluted environment can lead to imbalances in the body. Balance can be restored by identifying the root cause the problem (physical, emotional, nutritional) and addressing it with the use of nontoxic, natural therapies. Naturopathic Nutrition can help you re-take control of your health, eating and lifestyle habits, ultimately improving your quality of life and well-being.
Chronic conditions can be hard to treat and almost always need a holistic rather than a reductionistic approach, as our body systems are interconnected, which is often overlooked by conventional medicine.
By practicing evidence-based medicine, Naturopathic Nutrition deals with a wide variety of challenging chronic conditions, from stress to autoimmune and degenerative disorders. Every individual is treated differently, as opposed to a “one size fits all” type of programme, merely based on the symptoms. The focus is on the person rather than the disease, i.e. the person is treated not the disease.
Naturopathic Medicine&Nutrition can help you:
- to obtain information on good food and lifestyle decisions in general
- to determine your metabolic or nutritional type and hence the right diet and supplements for your personally
- to educate you about what your signs and symptoms are implying about your health status and learn how to manage them
- to organise tests to determine biochemical imbalances and nutrient deficiencies
- to organise tests to assess your toxic level and detoxification capacity
- to plan an appropriate recovery programme, gaining education on how to manage your health by yourself and prevent serious disease
- to restore vitality, improve your quality of life and promote longevity
- Provide you with the knowledge and tools to self-care for the long term
My Nutrition Clinics provide one-to-one consultations, tailor-made nutritional and lifestyle programmes and detailed guidance and support. The consultation is aimed at assessing any fundamental clinical imbalances and identifying how these may be contributing to your particular signs and symptoms. A naturopathic/ nutritional consultation can also be helpful for those wishing to optimise their health and fitness and slow down the ageing process.
Functional testing focuses on physiological function (i.e. how the body functions at a molecular, tissue or organ level), rather than merely the presence of markers of disease, like conventional medical testing. At most cases both are essential in order to draw a clear picture of the individual’s cause of health problems and specific requirements and to re-establish equilibrium using nutritional and lifestyle intervention.
Functional tests, in particular, can be invaluable in identifying the underlying cause of your health issues, as well as your unique nutritional needs, when coupled with your health history, dietary/lifestyle habits and nutritional goals. Diagnostic tests bring faster successful outcomes by facilitating the development of more individualised and targeted therapeutic protocols, as well as preventing illness. Laboratory tests are selected carefully depending on your particular problem among a wide range of tests offered by well established, scientific laboratories in the UK and US. Test results are known within two to four weeks, depending on the particular test.
A test is most often non-invasive and typically involves a breath, blood, saliva, urine or stool sample. The majority of samples can be taken at home but a client may occasionally be asked to attend the laboratory to provide samples.
Our clinic offers a broad range of functional health tests to help assess the causes of ill health. The following is a selection of the tests available:
Gastrointestinal Tests: digestion and gut function analysis
- Stool Analysis - to check for digestion and absorption, the presence of hidden yeasts, bacterial infections and parasites, the balance of ‘good’ to ‘bad’ bacteria in the gut and enzyme levels
- SIBO breath test - to check for possible bacterial overgrowth in the small intestine, very often the case in chronic bloating and other gastrointestinal disturbances.
- Lactose intolerance breath test
- Leaky gut/ Intestinal Permeability test - to check for integrity of the gut lining, very helpful in gastrointestinal disturbances and immune system reactions, including autoimmunity (Crohn’s, ulcerative colitis etc) and allergies
- Yeast Overgrowth test
- H.Pylori Antigen test
Immunology Tests: allergy and antibody profiles
- Gluten intolerance (celiac profiles) and Gluten Sensitivity
- Food allergy (IgE-immediate allergic reactions) and Food Intolerance(IgG-delayed) test. Food, food additives and environmental allergens have been implicated in a wide variety of conditions ranging from the discomfort of bloating, stomach aches, itching, runny nose to more severe illnesses.
Food intolerances may show up even 72h after exposure to an antigenic substance, making it hard to identify the causative agent. Common intolerances include but are not restricted to gluten, yeast, dairy, nuts, beans.
Endocrine Tests: hormone profiles
Practically all systems in the body are controlled by hormones, yet poor diet, stressful lifestyles and exposure to toxins may disrupt hormonal levels, resulting in profound effects on health. A range of functional tests are available to evaluate different hormones, including:
- Adrenal Stress Index Test - to measure the level of salivary cortisol and DHEA, critical for uncovering biochemical imbalances underlying fatigue.
- Thyroid Hormone Profiles - to analyse thyroid hormone production and metabolism, the disruption of which affects virtually every metabolic process in the body, from mood and energy levels to weight and sex drive. Conventional diagnostic testing will only test for clinical hypo/hyperthyroidism (disease). Subclinical hypothyroidism is increasingly common in the UK and Mediterranean countries, often left undiagnosed, leaving people feeling desperate or ‘not right’. Functional testing is crucial for early detection of thyroid issues and prevention of thyroid disease.
- Female/Sex Hormones Profile – a test using saliva to track the female hormones over a cycle to find out where the imbalances are occurring.
- Oestrogen metabolism test – this test measures the ratio of ‘good’ to ‘bad’ oestrogens
Nutritional and Toxin Status Assessment
Inadequate levels of vitamins, minerals and other orthomolecular nutrients or excessive levels of heavy metals can lead to a vast array of health complaints. These tests point towards the right dietary and supplementation programmes and establish their success.
- Mineral Hair Analysis Test - to test for mineral levels and heavy metal toxicity. Heavy metal assessment is particularly important for individuals coming in contact with toxic chemicals on a daily basis, such as smoking, living in polluted cities, paint, mines, mercury dental fillings, pesticides etc
- Bone scanning
- A number of comprehensive nutritional assessments which measure the levels of organic and amino acids, vitamin and mineral status, protein adequacy, cellular energy production and neurotransmitter processing, such as the Optimal Nutrition Evaluation, NutrEval, Antioxidant biomarkers, Plasma Mineral Profile, Fatty Acid Profile etc and help determine which nutrients and at what levels are most important for you and not for the mythical average person.
- Liver Detoxification Profile - to test for the rate of toxin elimination.
Genetics, sedentary lifestyle and progressive weight gain are all risk factors of cardiovascular disease and metabolic syndrome. Cholesterol has been blamed for many years for the aforementioned conditions, however the latest research points towards more specific and accurate biochemical markers. A range of tests are available for early detection of risk, including:
- Homocysteine Level Assessment
- Body fat assessment
- Glycosylated Haemoglobin
- Fasting glucose and insulin levels
It is important to underline, that while conventional medicine looks at “normal/medically-accepted” ranges of blood tests, naturopathic nutrition looks at the optimal narrower ranges, and will evaluate GP tests accordingly.
Nutrigenomics is a branch of nutritional genomics and cutting-edge area of research, studying the effects of foods and food constituents on gene expression (DNA), at the molecular level. Knowing that specific foods can have an effect on your genetic expression is invaluable when dealing with chronic illness/symptoms.
Nutrigenetics, on the other hand, studies how genetic variation or SNPs can influence, nutrients’ absorption, metabolism, elimination or biological effects, which can be extremely useful in pointing towards your unique needs and creating long-lasting results. Knowing your genetic predispositions can help prevent illness and foster optimal health for a lifetime.
Various laboratories in the UK offer DNA Genetic Testing & Analysis.
Training, qualifications & experience
BSc (Hons) Biomedical Sciences - University College London (UCL), Dean's List for Academic Excellence
Dip Energetic Holistic Nutrition - NHS, Athens, Distinction
Dip Naturopathic Nutrition - College of Naturopathic Medicine, London
Dip Naturopathy - College of Naturopathic Medicine, London
Fully registered with BANT & CNHC
Reiki Level 1 & 2
LinkedIn profile: https://www.linkedin.com/in/olianna-gourli-456044a0
Areas of nutrition I deal with
- Adults and elderly adults
- Anaemia *
- Anorexia nervosa *
- Balanced diet
- Binge eating disorder *
- Bulimia nervosa *
- Cancer *
- Chronic Fatigue Syndrome/ME *
- Coeliac disease
- Confidence and self-esteem
- Constipation *
- Crohn's disease *
- Diarrhoea *
- Digestive problems *
- Eating disorders *
- Eczema *
- Fibromyalgia *
- Food allergy and food intolerance
- Healthy eating
- Healthy hair
- Heart disease *
- High blood pressure *
- High cholesterol *
- Infants and pre-school children
- Iron deficiency anaemia *
- Irritable bowel syndrome *
- Life stages
- Megaloblastic anaemia *
- Menopause *
- Migraine *
- Obesity *
- Osteoporosis *
- Polycystic ovary syndrome *
- Pregnancy and preconception
- Premenstrual syndrome *
- Psoriasis *
- Rosacea *
- Schoolchildren and teenagers
- Skin health and conditions *
- Sports nutrition
- Thyroid problems
- Tiredness *
- Weight gain
- Weight management
- Women's nutrition
* If you have been diagnosed or suspect you may have one of the medical conditions starred above, you should consult your GP for advice, diagnosis and treatment and always inform your health professional before starting any alternative or additional therapies, treatments or making any major changes in your diet or exercise programme.
Photos & videos
Initial consultation: £90
Home/Office visits: £80
Packages: 3 sessions: £200, 6 sessions: £350
Students: discounted rates - contact us for more details
* Please contact us to find out if you are eligible for discounted rates
Free 15min chat pre-consultation available, to establish whether Naturopathic Medicine is the right route for you.
- Which is the highest antioxidant containing vegetable?
- Top 10 anti-ageing foods
- Do you need to detox after Christmas?
Home and office visits for busy clients - Skype / telephone consultations, if appropriate
Type of session
|Online nutrition support:||Yes|
|Telephone nutrition support:||Yes|
|Face to face nutrition:||Yes|
|Other languages:||Greek, French|
Mon-Sat: 9am-7.30pm Evening and weekend sessions available.