Anita Bowes, MSc (distinction) Nutrition & Dietetics, BSc (1st class hons.)
Lower Ground Floor, The Surgery
1 Elms Avenue
01202 72 50 90 / 07753 683656
My specialist dietetic clinical expertise is weight loss, diabetes (both Type 1 and Type 2), pre-diabetes digestive diseases (IBS, including Low FODMAP diets; Coeliac Disease) and Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS). I am an experienced dietitian and nutritionist sharing my work between the NHS Hospital working as a Diabetes Specialist Dietitian and my private practice. Over the years I have worked in the various areas of dietetics and have been part of the research team at the leading UK Hospital.
I am registered with the Health & Care Professions Council (HCPC), I am a member of the British Dietetic Association (BDA), Diabetes UK and Freelance Dietitians Group.
I graduated from Oxford Brookes University with a Bachelors of Science degree (BSc 1st class hons) in Nutrition, Exercise and Health. I then spent most of my professional training in Dietetics at Leeds Metropolitan University where obtained a Post Graduate Diploma (PG Dip) and Masters degree (MSc distinction) in Dietetics and Nutrition.
I appreciate the difficulty my clients face when trying to make permanent lifestyle and dietary changes therefore I have completed additional training in behavioral sciences: I am an accredited Neuro-Linguistic Programming practitioner, a trained hypnotherapist and have extensive training in Cognitive Behavioral Therapy.
I am a caring and non-judgmental practitioner and support my clients on each step of their treatment journey.
MY SPECIALIST CLINICAL DIETETIC EXPERTISE:
Weight management – I will not provide you with another fad diet, but a clinically proven sustained individually tailored LIFESTYLE CHANGE programme. I will help you establish a HEALTHY relationship with food and eating, develop your own tailor-made EATING PLAN, set your own sustainable WEIGHT LOSS GOALS, motivate and support you into making a LASTING CHANGE, help you to feel IN CONTROL of your weight, help you to think POSITIVELY, offer on-going SUPPORT.
Obesity management is my areas of research where I have developed successful weight loss/ lifestyle change programmes, which has helped my patients to lose weight and keep it off. I also have several publications in the peer reviewed scientific journals under my name in this area.
Type 2 diabetes management –diet/lifestyle plan that may reduce your risks of diabetes complications, carbohydrate awareness, structured blood glucose monitoring, weight loss, insulin dose adjustment, explanation of the mode of action of different diabetes medications, interpretation of the blood test results (e.g. HbA1c, blood cholesterol, thyroid functions, liver functions, kidney functions).
If you would like to improve your diabetes control and understand your condition better, I would be happy to help. For many years I have been working in the field of diabetes as part of the multidisciplinary team of Doctors, Consultants and Nurses.
Pre-Diabetes and Type 2 Diabetes Prevention – I have worked in research at the leading UK Hospital developing and running the programme that has helped hundreds of patients to prevent this devastating condition. The programme has been published in several pier-reviewed journals.
If you would like to get a tailor-made dietary advice and more detailed information about how to assess your risk and how to reduce the risks of developing type 2 diabetes, I look forward to hearing from you.
Type 1 Diabetes management – “flexible eating”: carbohydrate counting and insulin dose adjustment; insulin pumps; blood glucose targets and monitoring, including continuous blood glucose sensors; insulin adjustment during the sickness; hypo and hyper-glycaemia treatment.
Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS) - if your doctor has diagnosed you with IBS, I can work with you to help you to identify the triggers of your IBS symptoms. We will work together to keep your diet nutritionally balanced while limiting the unpleasant symptoms as much as possible. As you gain a greater understanding of your condition, its likely triggers, and what you can do to manage things, you’ll start to feel more in control again. I am also a certified by King’s Collage London as a FODMAP diets dietitian (a new approach to help people suffering from IBS, which has over 70% success rate.
Coeliac diseases – If your doctor has diagnosed you with coeliac disease, I can help you to follow a gluten-free diet. I will also help you to achieve healthy balanced diet sufficient in vitamins, minerals and dietary fibre and help you to interpret your blood test results.
Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS), insulin resistance
Diet to lower blood cholesterol and blood pressure
MY PRIVATE PRACTICE
My private practice is based at:
Lower Ground Floor
1 Elms Avenue
Poole BH14 8EE
Tel: +44 (0)1202 72 50 90
For more details, please visit my website at www.acediets.com
I am recognised by and registered with the major insurance companies:
AXA PPP Healthcare
Training, qualifications & experience
- Master’s Degree (MSc) in Dietetics & Nutrition (award –Distinction), Leeds Metropolitan University
- Post Graduate Diploma (PG Dip) Dietetics (award – Merit), Leeds Metropolitan University
- BSc (1st Class Hons) Nutrition, Exercise & Health, Oxford Brookes University
- Low FODMAPs diet, King's College London
- Inflammatory bowel disease: evidence-based dietary management, King's College London
- Cognitive Behaviour Change (CBT) course modules 1, 2 & 3, British Dietetic Association
- NLP practitioners Diploma
- Hypnotherapy and Counselling Diploma, Crysalis
Areas of nutrition I deal with
- Adults and elderly adults
- Anaemia *
- Balanced diet
- Confidence and self-esteem
- Constipation *
- Crohn's disease *
- Diarrhoea *
- Digestive problems *
- Healthy eating
- Heart disease *
- High blood pressure *
- High cholesterol *
- Iron deficiency anaemia *
- Irritable bowel syndrome *
- Life stages
- Megaloblastic anaemia *
- Obesity *
- Osteoporosis *
- Polycystic ovary syndrome *
- Thyroid problems
- Weight gain
- Weight management
- Women's nutrition
* If you have been diagnosed or suspect you may have one of the medical conditions starred above, you should consult your GP for advice, diagnosis and treatment and always inform your health professional before starting any alternative or additional therapies, treatments or making any major changes in your diet or exercise programme.
First one-to-one consultation (60 min)………..£80
Follow-up one-to-one session (30 min)……....£40
Letter to GP/Referring consultant....................£20
Bowes A, Begley J, Kerr D. Lifestyle change reduces cardiometabolic risk factors and glucagon-like peptide-1 levels in obese first-degree relatives of people with diabetes. Journal of Human Nutrition and Dietetics. 2017 Feb 7.
Bowes A, Payne R, Jenkinson R, Kerr D. Translating research evidence into practice: A community-based lifestyle programme for the prevention of type 2 diabetes. British Journal of Obesity, Vol 1, No 4, Pages 124–167
Begley J, Bowes A, Heart T, Kerr D. Metabolic impact of a successful lifestyle intervention in patients with new onset type 2 diabetes; a pilot study. Journal of Diabetes Research and Clinical Metabolism, 2013
Everett J, Bowes A & Kerr D “Barriers to improving glycaemia control with insulin pump therapy” Journal of Diabetes Nursing, Vol 14, No5, 2010.
*To maintain the confidentiality of the participants, the names have been deleted and replaced with the unique code.
- “Hi Anita, I forgot to write to tell you that your program has succeeded where other previous attempts have failed. I could always lose weight but have never been able to stop it returning. I have lost over a stone and kept it off I hope to lose another, I believe it is a combination of education (even I have learnt stuff!), the group support mechanism and you not being a fundamentalist dietician, that is you accept that it is not possible to avoid all relapses but have given us the mechanisms to minimise their effects. Thanks for your help.”
- "I joined Anita's programme as a very over weight per diabetic male, who was heading full type 2 diabetics if I did not change my ways. Anita initially used education about food as the way to improve my health and then followed this up with a programme of CBT and NLP to change the way I felt about food and the relationship I have with it. I am now six months into the programme and have lost over 4 stones I weight and am completely free of diabetes. I cannot thank Anita enough for not only increasing the quality of life, but also increasing my life expectancy. I cannot endorse her enough...what do you have to lose?”
- “I consider myself privileged to have been selected for the Lifestyle Programme. I thought I had a reasonable understanding of what healthy eating was but after several sessions with Anita Bowes it was clear I did not. Eating fried food, chocolate and drinking alcohol were the obvious ones but Anita made the real difference educating me on portion sizes and the effects of too much carbohydrate, which I feel were the underlying problem for me. Anita delivered the education in a fun and interesting way. This has enabled me to lose 2 stone and reach my ideal BMI. Being one of the youngest on the trial programme I feel fortunate that I can carry forward what I have learnt to continue to enjoy improved wellbeing and hopefully prevent health problems in the future.The end of the first six months of the programme coincided with my first holiday with my two year old son so from a personal point of view I am extremely grateful to Anita for enabling me to look at photographs of me and him in the swimming pool without feeling embarrassed about how overweight I look.”
- “Education: the dietary advice has been eye-opening, and essential to making informed choices. Especially the ability to calculate the value (both calories & benefits) of the content of prepared meals (both restaurant & pre-packed). Balanced diet: work towards a balanced diet; don’t skip meals, and try to avoid ‘grazing’. Watch your portion size. Recording: keep a record of what is being consumed, at the time. This helps to avoid under-eating (can cut back too aggressively), and acts as a brake if temptation getting too great. Challenge: to actually make changes to one’s diet, and to exercise. Find healthy food (alternatives for snacking) that you actually enjoy eating. Set food goals, not weight goals; get the first right, and the second will follow. Support: both within the programme and outside it from family & friends. Indeed a spin-off is that some of the messages are shared in conversation so there is a ripple effect beyond the programme.”
- “After years of trial and error of trying to lose weight and change my bad eating habits, I started the programme with much hope and trepidation. It was crunch time, I felt ill, swollen and bloated, full of aches and pains. I knew I couldn’t go on like this any longer. However, I soon adjusted to the programme and found I was losing weight gradually and becoming aware of why I was putting on weight, what I had to do to change, and my feelings towards food and exercise.The programme literally saved my life. It has been life changing and given me more confidence, I feel fitter and healthier and it is a great feeling to fit into clothes several sizes smaller and look feel I look good. Thank you Anita! I found the actual programme simple and straightforward. No weighing and excessive counting of different foods. I did have to make time for meals and found myself looking at food labels and making choices. I learnt that it was OK to come off the programme as long as I picked myself up and started again. I was not made to feel guilty or undermined. I gained confidence as the weight dropped. It helped enormously listening to other people’s stories and their personal ups and downs in helping me to face mine in a calm and friendly atmosphere.”
- “Thanks for the news (HbA1c result) Anita, it’s fantastic! Without your upbeat approach to this, I don’t think I would have been able to reach such a result. You are a great teacher!…”
D/clinic*, (Type 1 diabetes patient on insulin pump therapy).
- “I need to make a comment about the care, support, help, advice and encouragement given to me by Anita. Anita is wonderful and so very caring and committed to helping me make the very most of my diabetes insulin pump. Please pass on my thanks for all she has done.”
A/clinic* (Type 1 diabetes).
- “Having been diagnosed with type 2 diabetes after blood tests with my local GP, I was invited to attend the weight loss program organised by Anita Bowes........As a result of the program I have now (3.5 years later) been tested and my blood sugar levels are normal and I have lost 19kg in weight….”
Type of session
|Online nutrition support:||Yes|
|Telephone nutrition support:||Yes|
|Face to face nutrition:||Yes|
Friday 1.30pm-6.30pm; Other times may be available by arrangment