Around two-thirds of British women are not looking after their hearts as well as they should, according to a survey conducted by MegaRed Omega-3 Krill Oil.
It isn’t until they reach the big 5-0 that many women start thinking about their heart health, while 15% of the 2000 women surveyed admitted they don’t expect to have to worry about it at all in their lifetime.
This research comes to light after recent figures showed that heart conditions now affect women just as much as they do men. In total, one in three men die from heart disease each year, while a third of women will also fall prey to the condition – costing the UK £2bn a year!
Lifestyle choices such as poor diet and lack of exercise are considered primary causes of this massive rise in female heart disease. Many women simply do not realise how greatly their everyday habits are affecting their long-term heart health.
Here are some of the best foods for heart health that can be easily incorporated into your diet:
- Salmon: Packed full of omega-3 fatty acids and powerful antioxidants, salmon is thought to reduce your risk of dying of heart disease by up to one third.
- Green tea: Another rich source of antioxidants, green tea can help to lower blood pressure and reduce high cholesterol.
- Oats: A fibre-rich superfood that has been proven to lower cholesterol. Oats also provide a good source of omega-3 fatty acids, folate, and potassium.
- Berries: Also packed with protective antioxidants and polyphenols, which can help fight chronic disease and cancer.
- Garlic: Proven to reduce plaque build up in the arteries, garlic is great for lowering cholesterol and for keeping blood flowing smoothly throughout the body – reducing strain on the heart.
- Avocado: These are full of healthy, monounsaturated fats that can help balance out cholesterol levels.
- Olive oil: Another great source of healthy fat essential for heart health.
- Walnuts, almonds and macadamia nuts: All rich in omega-3 fatty acids and loaded with healthy mono and polyunsaturated fats.
- Spinach: Rich in lutein, potassium and fibre to aid heart health, while providing an important portion of your five-a-day, which is crucial for keeping your heart strong and disease free.
- Flaxseed: Bursting full of fibre, omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids these are small but powerful healthy heart diet essentials.