The chemical used to line cans, bisphenol A (BPA), had already been banned from baby bottle in the EU but is currently still used as a coating for soup cans because it prevents the tin from rusting and keeps the soup fresh.
In a test of 75 adults it was revealed that BPA was ingested when the participants ate soup and it was then detected in large amounts of their urine.
Study author Jenny Carwhile has said that it has been known for some time now that consuming beverages which are packaged in hard plastic packages can increase BPA ingestion, but this study suggests that canned foods may be cause for additional concern given their wide usage.
As it stands the levels of BPA obtained from soup cans does not pose a risk to the health of consumers, but the findings have warranted further investigation into the study.
A spokesperson from the UK Food Standard Agency said:”Our current advice is that BPA from food contact materials does not represent a risk to consumers but the agency will be looking at this study, as it would at any new piece of work, to see if it has any implications for our advice to consumers.”
View and comment on the original BBC News article.